• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage A-2

shedonwanna

Vet brought this to the reunion so I could get a look at the artwork. I have already painted some patches and they are sending me a couple of jackets to paint for his grandkids. it's a size 40. So, posting here to get comments on maker/contract. He said the jacket was issued to him in 1943 during training and then added the name on front (his brother a marine). The patches were added in the ETO and mission count also added in ETO after 35 missions were completed.

Jacket is moderate in stiffness and very dry. Any comments concerning leather treatment I'll pass along. The only rotten stitching is around the name tag. They are more interested in preservation than wearing. Not for sale... I already offered to exchange artwork for the jacket.

Skyhawk

Very nice! I would love to chat with that gentlemen!
I would recommend Renapur brand leather balm. It is similar to Pecard's but is bees wax based instead of petroleum based. It nourishes, rehydrates, and protects leather. I have used it on a few jackets and the results were amazing! It is safe and far better than other treatments I have tried.

Amazon.com is probably the easiest and cheapest way buy it.

Apply and leave on 24 hours, then buff off with a lint free cloth.

I would not clean a jacket that dry with any water process. It is a possibility that if you got it too wet, when it dries it may shrink and damage the leather.

The main thing is to get moisture into the leather and quick! Any soiled areas may, or may not, be cleaned later when the leather gains back some elasticity (depending on the post treatment condition).

This original was about a dry as that one. You can see the color difference on the left arm. It had not been treated at that point.

Same Jacket post treatment:

Regards,
Jay

mr_lits

Might I suggest 100% pure lanolin as a leather treatment. Make sure it is 100% PURE.

It is the closest match to the oils originally in the garment and lacks any petrol base to it. I believe it is what the Smithsonian is using as a leather treatment these days. Use sparingly and massage lightly with your fingers into the grain of the leather, being extremely cautious on the painted area and around the lining as any oils or treatment can and will stain cotton fibers. It will slightly darken the leather (as any treatment will) so try on a small hidden area first to ensure you like the results. You will notice almost instantly the leather becomes softer and more pliable. In several days go back and wipe/buff clean any excess on the leather.

Best leather treatment out there 100% Pure Lanolin.

Good luck with the jacket.

Silver Surfer

the jacket is a classic example of a "no name" cable rain coats mfg. made in 1942. a real beauty, i might add. its really good to see that it hasnt gone awol from its original owner. either of the treatments mentioned above will do wonders for the jacket. but, do try it on that old buzzard, as old guys get a little cranky when ya start messing with them.