• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vetter Motorcycle Jacket 1980's

ShempHoward

Not sure if this jacket qualifies as vintage or not? One mans vintage is another mans new. It’s from 1987. It’s a Vetter brand motorcycle jacket. For folks that may not know, Vetter was a big-name brand of motorcycle accessories and riding gear. I think they went out of business at some point, but someone might still own the brand?

I bought this jacket new in 1987 and used it very regularly for about 5 years. I’d consider it a lightweight leather jacket and it’s soft, almost like glove leather. The fur liner is zip-out removable and the sleeves zip-off as well to make a vest if someone preferred that style. I never used it as a vest. Tag inside says "Rex Marsee Design". No idea who that is.

The unique feature for this jacket is a bit of a gimmick, but it sorta worked. It’s the flow-through ventilation feature. If you unzipped the front two pockets and unzipped the back middle zipper, some riding air would flow-through and help keep you cooler on really hot days. Problem is, you lose use of the front pockets for storage if you did this and I can’t really say it even worked. I seldom bothered. A person might say, just unzip the jacket to get more air, but at highway speeds, the jacket would blow-up and become a nuisance. Clever idea with limited result from my experience.

Don’t recall what I paid for it back in ’87, but it wasn’t super expensive. I was still a college kid with a tight budget.

ShempHoward

IMG_0490.JPG
IMG_0491.JPG
IMG_0492.JPG
IMG_0493.JPG
IMG_0495.JPG
IMG_0496.JPG

dbtk44

Pretty nice jacket! That back vent is interesting. I have smaller zipped vents on my motorcycle jacket, and they help a little with getting some air moving on a warm day. The thing about these systems is...it's MOST noticeable when you're sweating, like at a stop, then once you take off and the air starts flowing at speed, you start to get an "evaporative cooling" effect. It's very pronounced when I wear my mesh vest in the summertime (100-115° usually). If im sweating that much, its too hot for a full leather jacket!
Anyway, I digress...
Do you still wear it when you ride now?