• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VERY limited edition ICWATC jackets

DiamondDave

Gents,

Here is another jacket that has been completed this week.

This is a new line that I am getting ready for the website. That being very small groups of LE jackets that will be patched and ready to go. This first offering is the last contract for Aero from before the war, that being the 16160. This is a collar stand style. The jacket includes the ICWATC (India China Wing, Air Transport Command) patch, Blood Chit and the CBI command patch to the left sleeve. Light aging to the patches and the great grain of this jacket makes it look quite original IMO.

Big thanks to Sean (a2jacketpatches) for his fine work.

11133757_471133989705364_1280771578933215662_n.jpg

11101252_471133996372030_8202267218037948379_n.jpg

18623_471133983038698_5907658658820777874_n.jpg

11091524_471133993038697_8272155680421771788_n.jpg

10926361_471134029705360_7494848222618664403_n.jpg

11130093_471134039705359_3176472130096409121_n.jpg

11077946_471134069705356_232566911438372174_n.jpg

10526003_471134046372025_903550286511613833_n.jpg

10354810_471134073038689_5512950176188982077_n.jpg

11053448_471134083038688_6123886658459125826_n.jpg

CBI

Dave and Sean - Looks super and I hope you do well with them. Very Nice!

Gotta ask about the chit though. Why this type that is an inside pocket addition vs. a more common full leather one?????

I does look nice.........................

a2jacketpatches

Ah hah! The Jedi Mind F***k works perfectly :lol: This is actually copied from an original chit sewn on the back of an original A2 and at some point in the past a very similar cloth and leather on another jacket back as well. I saw another of similar construction first hand that a collector owned many years ago being used inside as a pocket. Listed in my store I've got these described as good for any application but especially an inside pocket because the cloth is less likely to rip.

Now all.........

Look me in the eyes :shock: .............

Go to [email protected] to order half a dozen.............

They make great dinner table place mats..................

CBI

Yes, fine, I am sure these were used externally but your full leather ones look like they might be more appropriate???

There are examples of virtually any variation/example of anything in WW2. Some of the least frequent examples can make more or less sense.

I am sure some Aero 16160's existed with theater replaced zippers that were not spec. It would be 100% correct to sue the wrong zip if some examples existed?

I wasn't suggesting it was a wrong choice but maybe a little unconventional.

If I were to order one, I would ask for one of your full leather chits as these combined ones are rare.

No big deal or attempting to knit pick.

a2jacketpatches

I hear ya, not sure if Dave or I gave it as much thought though. As opposed to being conventional, I think it looks the part and is a legitimate choice. Also, being a "VERY Limited" edition jacket as Dave puts it, perfectly appropriate.

And if by chance you do order one, I'd be happy to accommodate your preferences for the more common every day Blood Chit.

a2jacketpatches

No worries, exactly.

I like to think of it this way, some where around here I have a WW2 era picture of a little stand / tent in India or something. CBI's Chits, Etc. of all varieties hanging throughout. That's me! You can pick and choose what you like best. The only difference is that I'm an Irish dude from Southie in 2015 using the same methods.

TankBuster

Beautiful looking jacket! That ICWATC patch is very well done! Colors and style are right on!
Nice work guys.

DiamondDave

CBI said:
Yes, fine, I am sure these were used externally but your full leather ones look like they might be more appropriate???

There are examples of virtually any variation/example of anything in WW2. Some of the least frequent examples can make more or less sense.

I am sure some Aero 16160's existed with theater replaced zippers that were not spec. It would be 100% correct to sue the wrong zip if some examples existed?

I wasn't suggesting it was a wrong choice but maybe a little unconventional.

If I were to order one, I would ask for one of your full leather chits as these combined ones are rare.

No big deal or attempting to knit pick.

Yeah, I find that I am not a big fan of "playing the favorite" as it makes me feel like a sucker. I much prefer to make my own path. All that said, I like the rarity of this use. Sure, I know what the patch was intended for, but why not do something different? Basically if Avirex has done it then you will never catch me doing it. Why would anyone want the same ol' stuff they can get everywhere else? Why not make something's special? Just this makers opinion, but there ya go.

DD

a2jacketpatches

Right on Dave!

Doing things the way I see fit has paid off in the long run. While this is a near exact reproduction of the ICWATC Patch, most of my work is tweaked a bit to my personal taste and only loosely based on the original patches. I adjust the designs a bit at times, increase the size a little to look correct on larger jackets, and pretty much try to not follow any rules while still staying within reasonable guidelines. A good example of this would be my multi-piece leather 8th AF shoulder patch, not the norm but I have seen at least three period examples in the past. If I were to be too rigid about what is conventional or typical, I'd be spending so much time researching and nit picking that it wouldn't be fun anymore. Being my own boss allows me the freedom to say to myself "because I said so" and that's good enough for me.

foster

I must commend you on your successful marketing. Such a patched jacket is not an item I am generally interested in, but you have made it both appealing and tempting all the same!

Silver Surfer

uh, a little late to this topic, but i had, and sold an original aero [later contract] that would be the granpa of the one you guys are doing. my jac had the iwatc patch and shoulder patches as sean is making, and the blood chit sewn on the back was the leather flag sewn on silk [possibly rayon]. outstanding work, gentlemen.

TankBuster

Like I said before, very nice looking jacket. You just need to find the right person that wants a patched up jacket. Good luck with them.

a2jacketpatches

Dave doesn't need to find them, they will find him. Eastman has been ordering steadily in quantity for 3 years now and I don't think anyone here has purchased a patched jacket from them. I've said it a hundred times, this forum is a minority when it comes to purchases, opinions, and overall interest in flight jackets. There's a crowd out there for pre-patched jackets.

TankBuster

My post was intended to be positive! ;) :D
I think they look really nice. I'm sure they will do well. Especially with the Japanese crowd.
Best of luck to you both!

a2jacketpatches

TankBuster said:
My post was intended to be positive! ;) :D
I think they look really nice. I'm sure they will do well. Especially with the Japanese crowd.
Best of luck to you both!

Mine as well friend, didn't mean it to sound otherwise, just voicing my observations from this end where I deal with a LOT of non-VLJers. I was on the phone while typing and didn't notice how the post may come across. Being on Ebay, they'll find themselves a home for sure.