• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Very early type A-4 flight suit

bombs away

Hello,

Just arrived at home, this very early type A-4 flight suit.
It is from a 1932 contract ! (first contract for the A-4 flight suit is from 1930).

Main differencies with the standard A-4 we all know :
- 2 chest pockets
- 2 legs pockets (different shape, closing with a button).
- larger collar
- Air corps' black tag and civilian maker's one
One question about these 2 labels : I think I've already seen this situation (civilian and military labels) on a flight jacket, but which one ? Could someone help me to remember this ?

5194616653_1609552576_b_d.jpg

5194617559_9a26d7bf01_b_d.jpg

5194618441_82c9d0ce09_z_d.jpg

5195218632_77269bbbe0_z_d.jpg

I have already posted this picture in the photo section of the forum, but here it is once again, you can see this type of suit worn by pilot #5

4563127296_cb0e91c294_o.jpg

Lt Col Crawford H. HOLLIDGE has been Group Commander from the 10th Photo Recon. Group (9th AF).

Tim

zoomer

Incredible. Any prewar issue gear is unbelievably rare and this is a beauty.

Never seen an Air Corps nametag with gold lettering - they all used to have it, but it disappeared before WW2.

The dual labeling was also done on Security Sportswear's A-2 jacket, the first known contract for the A-2.
secur01.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
bombs away said:
And for $36 it would have been stupid to let it go.

What an excellent score ...

Full Gear doesn't have this 1932 contract, but notes four different versions of the A-4. Version 1 differs from version 2 in having a separate fly with a buttoned flap. I can't imagine why they would delete this feature ... it appears to be very practical.

Weasel_Loader

What a super find. :eek: I know many of us, including myself that would have paid at least double that price just for the label. ;)

zoomer

Col. Hollidge was from a Boston mercantile family. C. Crawford Hollidge was a prominent women's clothier in the Hub for many years.

"The Town of Barnstable's first conservation commission chairman, Col. Crawford H. Hollidge of Marstons Mills, retired U.S. Air Force officer and former president and chairman of the board of C. Crawford Hollidge Limited, died Aug. 27 in Massachusetts General Hospital at age 80." - 1979 obituary from The Barnstable (MA) Patriot

dmar836

Enacting the reversal postal block. How'd that slip through? Please send it back to the States c/o me.

How am I missing this stuff?!

Dave

grommet

This thread is a good demonstration of the educational value of this forum. A special thanks to Zoomer and David for all of your information and insights. Also, congratulations to Tim.