• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Verdigris from brass zips - how do you you remove?

Bluebottle

Just bought a great little 40's sports jacket, but the brass zips have a lot of verdigris on them, and this has also marked the leather. It's mostly hidden so not a big issue, but I would like to clean it up as much as possible, without damaging the leather. Any tips?

Doesn't really show in the ebay pics, only when you pull the leather away from the zip tape.
178316211_o.jpg

I'm guessing a good start would just be cleaning with a dry toothbrush?

Jaydee

Yes a toothbrush. You can remove or reduce the green stains on the leather by washing it off with Lexol PH Leather cleaner. Also rub bees wax on the zipper track. It not only lubricates, but also removes the Verdigris as you use the zipper. You will notice little green balls of excess wax form up that you can flake off with a pin or your fingernail. Be careful to keep the wax off the zipper tape though! :(
-Jay

T-Bolt

If you have the opportunity, go to a gun store or possibly a sporting goods or surplus store and ask them if they have "M-16 rifle cleaning brushes" These brushes look somewhat like a toothbrush, but have bristles on both ends and the bristles are more stiff and controlable.

One end has short, quite stiff bristles that are perfect for zippers.

Ted

Peter Graham

That's a nice jacket. Any chance of a full pic. If that's the original zipper I'd say it's 50's or later. Personally I wouldn't bother cleaning it. Verdigras adds character !

Bluebottle

Here's the zipper...

PA200014.jpg

Looks original to the jacket. Haven't got any decent shots of me wearing it yet, but here is one from the ebay listing...
(I'll start a new thread once I get some decent photo's)

178315919_o.jpg

178316365_o.jpg

Cheers for the tips guys!