• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vanishing stitch holes

a2jacketpatches

I figured out a way to fill and subdue any imperfections in the process. It is not an absolutely perfect solution because if you know I did it, you will always see it. BUT, others who don't know I fixed it, never will. I don't mean as to deceive, but to make a jacket with MG holes all over it presentable and serviceable once again, take the ugly away. Basically what I do is very similar to auto body work. The materials I used are hand mixed from exterior grade adhesives, my own potion. Then I will fill, sand, and match the color as best I can to airbrush into the existing color. I do the best I can however it's gotta be done. The following photos will show an example of crushed leather from very tight stitching, the hardest to disguise, needing to wrinkle otherwise smooth leather was my solution. Another was a dumb mistake on my part sewing shoulder patches on the wrong sleeves, an Eastman. I told the owner, he said something like " my ass puckered up tight as a drum" I was so worried about the whole thing that I lost sleep. This sped up the research and development of fixing holes. He was very happy with the results considering he shouldn't have had to deal with it in the first place. The following is a link to a slide show, not really in order but you'll get the idea.

http://s872.photobucket.com/albums/ab28 ... etpatches/

deand

A year or so ago, and in another thread I once suggested using some of that leather/vinyl repair compound advertised on the television to fill holes and cracks in a jacket and was told it wouldn't work. Probably not, but this seems very similar and I am very glad you had success with it, and would like to know how the fix holds up over time.

dean

a2jacketpatches

I messed with the product you speak of with limited results, but it helped me figure out a better way. The jackets in the photos were done about three years ago and I haven't heard any bad news yet. My guess is that the repair will last forever and that the leather will break down first over decades. Also did many stress tests on a piece of leather with the same type of repair resulting in unexpected benefit, it wrinkles with the leather and aids in camouflaging remaining flaws.

a2jacketpatches

Actually, matching the jacket color isn't a problem at all. The slide show provided in my first post is a photo mix of this process as I worked, out of order. If you see contrast in color, it's due to the lighting focused on the area. Like I said before, you'd never know it was fixed looking at with the naked eye unless you knew what was done. Just like examining my photos for any discrepancies after reading the step by step process.

a2jacketpatches

There you have it Jeff, haven't done this in forever but it'll be a loth easier considering artwork will cover the area.