• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USN WW-2 VF(N)-90 Squadron Patch

Maverickson

Hi All,

I thought it would be nice to mix it up a little bit by featuring a WW-2 USN squadron patch. As seen directly below, this VF(N)-90 patch was recently acquired from the estate of a USN aviator.

VFN-90_zpsb547e69c.jpg
5" X 5.50"

This particular patch dates the waning months of WW-2. It is fully embroidered and quite detailed. While aboard the USS Enterprise CV(6), VF(N)-90 actively participated in air strikes against Luzon in the Philippines, Iwo-Jima & mainland Japan. Throughout the life of the squadron VF(N)-90 flew a special radar equiped F6F Hellcat as seen below.

VFn-90AirCraft_zpsf01ed3b2.jpg

As an aside & what I found particularly intriguing is the fact that a few years after this squadron was decommissioned this squadron’s same motto (NOX MEA AUXILIATRIX EST) was picked up by another but post WW-2 squadron. That would be a Korean War era night fighter squadron Composite 4 which used this same motto. A number of years ago I also aquired this patch which can be seen directly below.

KoreanWarEraPatches-2.jpg

This motto translates into "Night Is Our Ally".

Cheers, Dave

Maverickson

a2jacketpatches said:
Very nice, is your avitar a Navy Squadron as well?

Yes, currently my avatar is a Korean War era USN VF/VA-152 squadron patch. My late Father was a CO of that squadron when VA-152 transitioned from the Skyraider to the Skyhawk. During his time VA-152 was known as the Mavericks.

Cheers, Dave