• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USN Shawl Collar Progress

dmar836

Pattern needs more work around the collar but without an original to pattern trial and error had to do.
Need to order some buttons from Japan!
I used 10.5oz Jap denim which I believe, despite all the online banter, is NOT the correct weight or loom size. There are a lot of misconceptions right now about vintage/WWII era denim IMO but demin-heads cannot be convinced otherwise. Of course if they ever actually made anything they might see other views. Rant over.
Dave

Falcon_52

Looking good, Dave. I'm envious. :D

I know next to nothing about denim (vintage or otherwise) but when you say that 10.5 oz denim is not "right" what do you mean? I assume you mean that it's too heavy/dense?

Noel

dmar836

Well, it bears more research but most 10 oz and above is 3-1 weave intstead of 2-1(often used back then). More durable but stiffer. So yes density is likely the issue. This was a "shirt" more than a jacket.
Dave

zhz44

I believe the original Navy denim jacket used 9-9.5 oz denim.
But yes, this is a nice looking jacket.

bretron

Sharp! 2x1 denim and the right buttons (or even just cool two hole jams) and this would be a great addition to my wardrobe ;)

dmar836

Yeah, it can't be spot on as I have never even held an original.
Someday I'll borrow an original, take some measurements, and modify my pattern.
Ordered buttons today so I'll post pics when it's done.
Thanks,
Dave

Smithy

Completely off topic but is that a model of an SE5a on top of that chest of drawers?

Nice work with the denim jacket, I'm always impressed by those who can make their own jackets, denim, leather or otherwise. I wouldn't even have the foggiest where to even start.

dmar836

Thanks Smitty, it is. It was a trophy from winning a "one-design" Se5 rubber powered freeflight model contest. We all built from the same online plan, flew three consecutive flights(once started you had to count three flights in a row), and submitting our longest times. Mine flew over 1 minute. The only trophy I've ever won as an adult.
Dave

Silver Surfer

i have a jappo [buzz?] version, and its a sturdy work jac, and yes, they are great worn over a fishermans sweater. gotta say, like others here, im impressed when someone decides to, and then makes their own, and this one looks fantastic. kudos.