• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Usn n1 deck jacket

Marv

Anyone own an original usn n1 deck jacket as I have a few questions.

1) is the jacket very heavy and bulky

2) does the alpaca lining bunch up underneath the inner shell eg. Like say the filling of a duck down duvet when not shaken properly ie loose

Thanks in advance chaps

CBI

yes, they are heavy

the lining has not piled up on mine.

its an original WW2 era N-1

joeson

I have one too.Great jackets.I also have one of the French Navy ones too.Very similar in style with a anchor stencilled on the chest.

A

Anonymous

I have an early civi n-1
I can answer

1) yes
2) I don't think so

Peter Graham

I don't think they are particularly heavy, and definitely not bulky though the whipcord shell is quite stiff when new. The Alpaca lining does not bunch up. Fine jackets.

marco77

Sorry if my question was already on the forum :

Is BR deck jacket really warm ?
Because leather sheepskin jacket are too heavy for me :oops:
As warm as a B-10 ?

thanks

Marco

Peter Graham

marco77 said:
As warm as a B-10 ?

Assuming that BR N-1's as warm as originals then, yes, as warm as a B-10, but longer and with pockets that you can keep your hands in.

EmergencyIan

marco77 said:
Sorry if my question was already on the forum :

As warm as a B-10 ?

thanks

Marco

I own the Buzz Rickson N-1 deck jacket. It's their first version...not one of the more recent variations. It is a very warm jacket.

In fact, I own a near mint 1940's U.S Navy WWII era, Brooklyn Naval Clothing Factory tagged/made size 38 Pea Coat. The alpaca lined Deck Jacket is warmer than the WWII Pea Coat. I live in NYC, and in January we had a week of high temperatures in the 20 degree farenheit area. I have to spend a lot of time outside walking, etc to get from place ot place. One day, I wore the Pea Coat and wasn't quite as warm as I hoped I'd be. The following day was just as cold and windy, so I wore the deck jacket and was much more comfortable.

- Ian

chamboid

They are pretty practical jackets, comfortable and not to heavy. They are quite bulky but not enough you really think about it like a sheepskin.

BR are good copies. I I have 2 of those the normal one and the William Gibson one. The Gibson is a bit bulkier, feels more of a winter jacket where as the other one is versatile enough to layer on a very cold day, or if its just brisk that and a shirt is fine.

The original I have is a later one, where the pile is not as thick, more closely woven/matted. It's not as heavy as either BR. I think it dates from the 50's. so if you are worried about weight that might be an option.

If you want to see detailed pictures of any let on me and I'll send you some.

Must say the b-10 or b-15 is a little bit more practical, slightly easier to wear and just as warm really

EmergencyIan

chamboid said:
BR are good copies. I I have 2 of those the normal one and the William Gibson one. The Gibson is a bit bulkier, feels more of a winter jacket where as the other one is versatile enough to layer on a very cold day, or if its just brisk that and a shirt is fine.

Maybe it's because I'm from the midwest, or who knows, but I'm really warm wearing my "normal" BR deck jacket with a t-shirt and a button-down cotton dress shirt or something similar.

At any rate, the originals and BR reproductions are both very practical and warm.

One thought that has crossed my mind concerning the U.S. Navy WWII era deck jacket, is that it seems modern in the sense that it's very warm minus any bulkiness of significance.

- Ian

Marv

Thanks for all the responses chaps, I was on the lookout for an decent original in a modern 44"/46"reg size but in the meantime I picked up one of the Pike Brothers N1 repros.

http://pikebrothers.com/product/1944-n1-deck-jacket/

It's a well made jacket but quite heavy and has a bulky lining which leads me to the questions in this post as I have never owned an N1 before so didn't know what to expect from the jacket.

I do believe that the Pike Brothers also make a B10 which is slightly over-engineered when it comes to the lining eg. much thicker than on originals so this made me think that they have done the same with their N1 repro.

Anyway, it's a really nice jacket, quality made and very warm but the only let down is the crappy repro Talon zipper which looks ok but on closer inspection it's only the puller/slider which looks like a Talon.

If anyone else has one of these I would be interested in there opinions of the jacket.