USN Deck Zip project [Bronson MOD]

Discussion in 'Cloth' started by Geeboo, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Geeboo

Geeboo Active Member

There is a couple of wrong in the Bronson USN Deck Zip jkt 2017 version.
    1) The 1st is the alpaca lining - all versions point to me it is navy wool lining instead of Alpaca. The 1 & only 1 I can locate with an alpaca lining is NAF1168/ contract NXs-1404. Anyway, I will change it to navy wool lining
    2) Zip jacket are without wind flap-> will renove that
    3) The fake Talon brass zip is ok -> but will change it to Mash NOS Talon of exactly the same period
    4) Will change the knit cuff as well from Mash
    5) The highlight -> will hand wash + hand bleach myself to the most desirable effect out of the 10s of specimen found - as shown attached. The area around zip is darker & so does under-pit area
    6) Will also add some stencil at the 20180425_143941.jpg back + wash-out effect, too
    That will be a VERY LARGE PROJECT & will not be completed in a short period.:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    jack31916, EmergencyIan and Cocker like this.
  2. Geeboo

Geeboo Active Member

The original Talon zipper & label Original3.jpg & the ONLY original found with alpaca lining NXs-1404

Attached Files:

jack31916 and Cocker like this.
  3. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Well-Known Member

Interesting. An alpaca lining and a label with NAF instead of NXs. Is this another rare USN flight jacket? Possibly an attempted replacement of the cloth 37J1 before they made the M422 + M423 jackets?

The early USN 37J1 jackets had a prefix of just N or NOS. Not sure about NAF besides an unrelated acronym for "Naval Air Facility".

Looks like an awesome project! That label sure would be an easy reproduction.

4. falcon_ib

falcon_ib Active Member

Sounds like a great project. Keep us updated with your progress!

5. Thomas Koehle

Thomas Koehle Well-Known Member

Yeah - interesting project ...

Have been looking for one of those jackets in 44 but as far as I know they are produced only up to 42???

Anyone any other info?

6. jack31916

jack31916 Active Member

7. Geeboo

Geeboo Active Member

some work in progress.
    The jkt is ripped to its shell before bleaching.
    The stitches are so dense & tension-ed, it is like iron-clad. Very strong sewing machine had been used, in this regard, it is almost indestructible - extremely difficult to dismantle the lining.
    An accident happened, the seams are so strong that when I tried to use brut force to tear apart the seam, the upper part of the left chest was torn !

Attached Files:

jack31916 likes this.
  8. Geeboo

Geeboo Active Member

after 2nd bleach + 1 hour of brushing
    You got to be cruel & have a let-go mindset in doing these antiquing; you just cannot not be too kind in doing these things. 20180427_115238.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  9. Geeboo

Geeboo Active Member

Dry out after 2nd bleach. ripple shows up around shoulder seams & pocket seams. 20180427_142001.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    jack31916 likes this.
  10. Geeboo

Geeboo Active Member

correct weave of navy wool lining used. Machine washed once to shrink & expose more of those cross weave pattern. Correct lining weave 27Apr18.jpg

Attached Files:

11. Thomas Koehle

Thomas Koehle Well-Known Member

wow!

good job so far the jacket already looks like 70 years old

for the brushing I'd focus more on spots which would have - in real life - the highest amount of wear like elbows aso

looking forward to see her finished

Geeboo likes this.
  12. Geeboo

Geeboo Active Member

The Mash zipper & knits arrives today. I am lucky that the deadstock Talon has the mark "3" in the box, indicated it was made in 1943. The same zipper box is found on my original M445A jacket. I said lucky because its web page said some zippers are without this marking & delivery is based on arbitrary 20180505_125923.jpg picking.
    Just a bit of fun side-talking that when I say to my tailor I want to change the alpaca lining of this brand new jacket & he is quite puzzled - do you mean it ? YES, of course !

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  13. Geeboo

Geeboo Active Member

the label arrived, it looks ok.
    Just read from atthefront website that there is a thin nylon in between the shell & the wool lining for wind proofing in 1st pattern deck zip jkt. Since they claimed they have dissected 20180526_173753.jpg an original to reproduce - I trust them & will add such.
    By then, an original zip deck must be very very warm cos a thick shell + a wool lining is already warm enough, adding such a wind proof nylon will make it un-wearable in Most of the days - esp. in Hong Kong where i live !

Attached Files:

14. jack31916

jack31916 Active Member

It's true that there's some sort of liner between the shell and the liner of the jacket. I don't know if it's a sort of nylon but I thought it was more a plastic / thin rubber material to make the jacket wind (and more important) waterproof on the inside. My friend has an original NOS Deck Hook jacket and I have a Buzz Rickson Zipp Deck jacket. When wearing the jackets for the first time at a reeanactment show we were making a lot of noise like someone was twisting plastic bags. Once worn in the noice disappeared.

Geeboo likes this.
  15. Geeboo

Geeboo Active Member

Here is the finished product 1.1.jpg 2.1.jpg 3.1.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 20180817_135143.jpg 20180817_140000.jpg

16. dujardin

dujardin Well-Known Member

wowwww what a metamorphosis

Geeboo likes this.
  17. falcon_ib

falcon_ib Active Member

Wow great job! Love how the aging and faded colors correspond to where it would get the most wear. Stenciling looks great as well.

Evan

Geeboo likes this.
  18. Flightengineer

Flightengineer Well-Known Member

It's amazing job!

Geeboo likes this.
  19. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

Geeboo
    I am officially bestowing the title of “Creative Jacket Wizard Extraordinaire “ on you.
    You now have a new tittle .... use it wisely Jedi;)

Geeboo likes this.
  20. zoomer

zoomer Well-Known Member

he can do all this...but can he make them any bigger?????

Geeboo likes this.