USN A-2 COLD WEATHER Deck Jacket (Need some fit help)

Discussion in 'Cloth' started by Skip, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Anyone had any experience with these jackets?

s-l1600.jpg

Just need to know roughly what size would fit me. I'm 6'3" obviously tall in body and sleeve, 39' chest and usually take a size medium (40) with sleeve length in a LEATHER A2 at 26-27 from shoulder sleeve to end of knit.

These jackets seem to be a bit short in the sleeve most size M 38-40 run at 24 and the L 42-44 run a sleeve of 25-25.5

any help would be appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Cobblers161

Cobblers161 Well-Known Member

I’ve a few of these jackets. I’m 6’ and a 42” chest and find the L is good for layering and the M a mch trimmer fit and good with a tee.

The early version, 60’s, with the squared off pocket corners is a trimmer fit all round.

I’d say go for a L as the M will, as you point out be way short in the arms.

There’s some slight variation in sizing with differing manufacturers but not enough to make a huge difference.

Originals are creeping up in price but can still be had for £60 or if you fancy you can buy a Buzz repro version for £400.

Sounds familiar......

Peter Graham likes this.
  3. Thomas Koehle

Thomas Koehle Well-Known Member

I own about 10 of them which I purchased when still no one was asking for them

I`m "normally" a 44 chest and wear the size "L" which fits perfect - "XL" much too huge - "M" just does not fit

4. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Thanks lads, very helpful. I'll be sure to be getting me an original, I'd rather spend $400 on leather.

I have noticed there is quite a range in price from $60-300

5. EmergencyIan

EmergencyIan Active Member

Yeah, I have experience with them, as well. You're not going to get a perfect fit, in your case. It's going to be a compromise. Medium would be perfect with your chest size, but it would not be close to being long enough, as has been mentioned.

For me, I am in between the Small and Medium. The Small is just slightly too tight in the shoulders and chest, but the medium is a good bit medium roomier than I'd prefer. I've gone with the medium, by default.

Also search "permeable jacket" on eBay in a general search and in militaria.

- Ian

Skip likes this.
  6. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Thanks Ian

EmergencyIan likes this.
  7. EmergencyIan

EmergencyIan Active Member

^ Welcome, Matt!

- Ian

8. nkang

nkang Active Member

This is a bit late but I'll post mine anyways for future reference. I had an A-2 deck jacket size Medium (38''-40'') until the past Friday. I am 5''8' with 42.5'' chest. The medium fits me perfectly and, given my short arms, the sleeves fit well. So for taller people I'd recommend the Large size.

Skip likes this.