• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USMC Aviation Patches

mowgli

Gents,

I am fortunate enough to live near one of the original makers of Japanese cloth patches from the 50's & 60's. This man and his late father have been in business since the mid-fifties, and developed a reputation as being the best in the business. Today the son, now in his 70's, works in the small original shop where he sells current patches to the occasional customer who recognizes his talents and history. I had been trying to buy some of the original patches he had on display, but was unsuccessful since he has no interest in a monetary exchange. We finally agreed on a jacket for patch trade, and I now own 5 of his original USMC patches. He has a few originals from the 50's he keeps in a safe place, but many from the late 60's & early 70's are still on sale in his shop. He showed me the original patterns and sale orders he shipped to various locations around the Marine Corps (El Toro,Taiwan, Chu Lai, & Da Nang). I thought some of you might enjoy these photos.

Mowgli

DSC00903.jpg

DSC00904.jpg

DSC00905.jpg

DSC00906.jpg

DSC00907-1.jpg

DSC00908-1.jpg

mowgli

Thank you for the comments. Later this week, I'll post some pictures from a future website this gentleman wants to post as historical reference. I told him about VLJ, and he seemed pleased to share his passion with others. Unfortunately, he doesn't speak much English, so communication is a combination of English, some Japanese, and hand gestures.

Mowgli

dujardin

mowgli said:
Thank you for the comments. Later this week, I'll post some pictures from a future website this gentleman wants to post as historical reference. I told him about VLJ, and he seemed pleased to share his passion with others. Unfortunately, he doesn't speak much English, so communication is a combination of English, some Japanese, and hand gestures.

Mowgli

be his personnal translater, it would be great to receive his history on the forum.
tell him you would be more than happy to help him.