Used Aero Mariner

Discussion in 'Repros' started by Jonesy86, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Jonesy86

Jonesy86 Member

I now have 3 Aeros. My first high end jacket was brand new HBD Vincenza from Thurston's stock. No wait. Carrie pegged my size perfectly from just a few email exchanges. I call her the "jacket whisperer", she knows her stuff. However, I cannot afford new high end jackets, so I have been shopping the second hand market.

I picked up an Aero Mariner recently all the way from Ankara. It took a long time to get to me, and apparently was gone over pretty strictly by customs. I guess that is just a sign of the times.

Many folks have said it is my best yet. It was a great price, and it is a very unique design that you often don't see:

Mariner Closed.jpg
    What do you folks think of this jacket, and fit? I'm a newb. I love it. It is FQHH, and I didn't have to break it in.
    Thanks!

ButteMT61, Kennyz and Steve27752 like this.
  2. Garylafortuna

Garylafortuna Active Member

Terrific looking jacket David. The color and the fit are dead on. I really favor the double breast; makes it so much more wind resistant. This is extraordinarily coincidental but I recently purchased a Buzz Rickson G-1 from a forum member in Ankara. Perhaps the same fellow. Congrats on the Aero Mariner. I have two Aeros that I like a lot.

3. Steve27752

Steve27752 Well-Known Member

It looks like a good fit too me.

4. CBI

CBI Well-Known Member

I love this - congrats!!!!

5. johnwayne

johnwayne Active Member

Well nice!

6. Dubpynchon

Dubpynchon Member

Great fit, I have an Aero Cheyenne which is similar to this, great jacket. It seems to have shrunk since I wore it in the spring strangely, it did fit like an overcoat but now is more like a normal jacket fit. I reckon leaving it in the cupboard next to the heating tank did it. Not pies.

7. Roughwear

Roughwear Well-Known Member

Very nice indeed. I particularly like the scalloped pocket flaps.

8. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

I've got an Aero Barnstormer which is obviously very similar and absolutely love it. Tough, good looking, practical coats.

9. Jonesy86

Jonesy86 Member

Thanks guys, I love this jacket, and it didn't break the bank either. :)

10. seres

seres Member

Great fit. I’ve often wondered if these double-breasted larger/longer coats should fit like an overcoat, or more like a jacket. The difference would be about one size. In any event, I’ll keep your fit in mind if I ever get one of these.

11. Jonesy86

Jonesy86 Member

This fits me more like a long jacket than an overcoat. I suppose I could fit a fairly thick sweater under it, but it is trim. Did I say I really like it?

12. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

The Aero Barnstormer and Mariner are sized roughly one to two sizes larger than the label size so that they can be worn over other clothing. The reason is that these are based on post WWI flying, motoring and nautical coats which were designed to be worn over other clothing. For example my 40 Barnstormer has the measurements of a size 42/44 if comparing with more fitted jackets.

If you're after one Seres, just go for your standard size which will mean you can layer. If you wanted a more fitted look you'd have to go down in size but that to me defeats the original purpose of these coats and also the look of them.

seres likes this.
  13. Jonesy86

Jonesy86 Member

Yes, I am a 42L, or sometimes a 44 to get sleeve length. I couldn't get a better fit. I could layer under this, but is lined with Alpaca witv is pretty cozy.

14. MET

MET New Member

You are right Gary. It is a small world.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018