USCG G-1

Discussion in 'Care / Preservation' started by Aerosquad, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Aerosquad

Aerosquad Member

Hello All,

I purchased an issue USCG (perforated on the wind flap) G-1 a few years back and although it was new or never worn and is in good shape it is very dry and cracking in a few spots . Also the zipper is getting that green tarnish. I know everyone will suggest Pecards for the leather but I read one of John Cs articles where he used regular Vaseline because it was PH neutral ?
    Anyone ever give this a try ?

2. jschare

jschare Member

I've used both and they both work well. The Pecard will last a bit longer than the Vaseline will though.

3. unclegrumpy

unclegrumpy Active Member

I bet with the USCG marking, your jacket is not that old....maybe no more 35 years or so. If it has been stored in a reasonably way, it might not need as much help as you might think.

There are several liquid shoe creams for dress shoes that might be all you need. Note I said dress shoes, not boots. You want something that does not have silicone, mink oil, or any waterproofers in it.

That said, I have used both Vaseline and Pecards, and both are very good choices. However, I sometimes find a light application of liquid shoe cream is all a jacket really needs to soften up enough to be worn.

4. Aerosquad

Aerosquad Member

Thank you. Its time I bought Pacards for other jackets anyway. But ot answer your question I would say this jacket was made in 1986. The tag reads : Jacket, flyers, Intermediate, Type G-1
    with the last line reading : DLA100-86-C-0481. So I beleive that would be 1986 ? Nice jacket but paper thin compared to An Eastman G-1

5. unclegrumpy

unclegrumpy Active Member

Yes, made in 1986.

I am a bit surprised to hear the leather is thin, many of the G-1s from the 80's are on thicker side, because they are cow hide rather than goat......yours is probably goat.

6. Aerosquad

Aerosquad Member

MIL-J-7823(AS)
    Orchard M/C Dist. INC
    8415-00-286-7801

Is the rest of it on the label. I wouldnt say thin but not as thick as my Eastman. Maybe a bit stiff