• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAF Regulation A2 Jackets / Summary Table

Cowboy4

Hello and happy New Year.
I’ve been a member for a while but this is my first post; I have just introduced myself in the bio section.

I’ve spent some time researching the new A2 jacket models, since the reintroduction of this jacket by the USAF in 1988. My “research” is pure curiosity; all of it was done on-line, looking and copying other people pictures; and reading other people comments. I’ve put together several hundred digital pictures of jackets of different Government suppliers, patterns, details, pockets, labels, etc.

The only specimens I have actually touched are the two Saddlery A2s I own. My compilation included only A2 jackets that were officially issued by the USAF as regulation (only jacket with national stock numbers NSN 8415-01-258-6xxx and NSN 8415-01-283-6xxx); did not consider private purchases and/or modifications.

I am attaching a summary table I’ve prepared. An earlier version of my table was posted in the USMilitariaForum and was copied by others as far as Japan.

The revised table includes a few more details, but it’s still not complete. I would appreciate any info on the red question marks, or for that matter, please let me know if the table contains errors or omissions.

Also, according to some info I found on Government contract/supplier sites, the 1995 and 1996 Saddlery/Cooper jackets were manufactured by Schott. Have you ever heard of such a thing ?

Thank you in advance.

USAF_A2_TABLE.jpg

Cowboy4

To add some color, here is an old pic of my two '88 Saddlery jackets; I wear them around, without the patches.

DSC_8746.jpg

Kennyz

Very cool!

For your table, the Branded Orchard jacket does have Ventilation Grommets.

The other red question mark about that makers A-2 is regarding side panels….I'm not sure exactly what you mean by side panels.

:) Ken

Cowboy4

Ken, thank you for the info on the Branded Orchard grommets.

I am attaching a picture of my two jackets, the 44 size has side panels while the 42 does not.
The Saddlery jackets come with panels from size 44 and up. Not sure about the Branded Orchard model.

Side_Panel.jpg

Marv

I have the Cooper Orange label version from around 1988 (I think) in a 46" Long which seems to be identical to the 1988 Saddlery model including all the same hardware eg. IDEAL zipper, throat latch, purple/brown hue knits, great goatskin etc.

From what I have seen, the 1988 Coopers seem to be the best quality and a far cry from the current Cockpit issue A2s.

Kennyz

Cowboy4 said:
Ken, thank you for the info on the Branded Orchard grommets.

I am attaching a picture of my two jackets, the 44 size has side panels while the 42 does not.
The Saddlery jackets come with panels from size 44 and up. Not sure about the Branded Orchard model.

I understand now Cowboy4.

The Branded Orchard size 42 that I have does Not have side panels (not sure about any other sizes).

Take care!

Ken

PeterB

There is also the new 2013 Issue Excelled version which is the same spec as Cockpit but has a more rounded collar edges and has the new Defence Logistics Agency (Wings collection)label The G1s have the same label but its the Quaterdeck collection. Also from Excelled

Cowboy4

PeterB, thank you very much for the input. I had seen (on-line) some Excelled G-1s, but I was not aware of DLA supplied A2s.

I did a very quick search, found some pictures, and, as you stated, it seems that Excelled manufactured several A2 contracts in 2013 and 2014, under SPM1C1-13-D-1019, EXCELLED SHEEPSKIN & LEATHER COAT CORP

In parallel with other Cockpit contracts. I will do some additional digging, these A2s don't seem to be common. I have revised the table. Once again thank you !

USAF_A2_TABLE_Revised.jpg

269sqnhudson

Hi Cowboy,

I have some very timely info on the 1996 Saddlery issue A2 as I just received a pristine, unissued one in a 46R that I bought on Ebay.
For comparison I also had until recently a size 44R 1988 Saddlery issue jacket that I sold in order to upsize to this one. I also owned a 2002(?) Cooper with orange label, almost certainly made by someone else and a 1990s Cooper orange label that is just like the 1988.

I'm absolutely sure that the 1988 is Cooper manufactured because (aside from the 'Cooper' on the white contract label) it is, in terms of pattern, absolutely identical to the 1988 Saddlery A2. They have a slightly strange fit in the armpit making arm-lifting a little troublesome and quite wide shoulders. They both have the side panel and identical collar and pocket design.

There are, however, three differences that make the 1996 in my opinion a nicer jacket. Firstly the zipper: It is still an 'Ideal' brand zipper but the puller is a much more robust and simple design. It feels weightier and also has a leather pull-through attached of the same goatskin as the jacket.
Secondly the cuffs and waistband are, without a doubt, 100% wool. Very similar in weight and weave to top-end repros and original WWII jackets (stronger and tighter than Eastman, more like MASH knits of which I've had a few.) My 1988 Saddlery has poly knits that pill easily.
Finally the goatskin is a bit darker, stiffer and thicker than the 1988 version. It has a nice semi-matt quality to the finish and the red/brown suede reverse is really quite nice. My 1988 version has a slightly lighter russet-toned surface, is a bit shinier, and with a sort of muddy-brown reverse and distinctly less heft.

I also used to own until last year a new-old-stock Cooper branded A2 from the last production run (about 2002?) that I do believe was made by someone else, very different design, long neck hook just like a Cockpit (not great) and much bigger in fit. Nice goatskin though.

I'll get some pics as soon as possible (hopefully this weekend) but to summarise it's like a 1988 made with slightly improved materials.

Hope this helps,
Tom

Cowboy4

Thank you Tom, looking forward seeing your pictures.

With regards to the manufacturer of the 1996 Saddlery/Cooper, I have not been able to find much additional information.
The labels say Cooper and, as you pointed out, the jackets look like Cooper's, but according to the Government contract/supplier sites, both the 1995 and 1996 Saddlery/Cooper jackets were manufactured by Schott. Not sure what to think.