• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAF P-1B helmet

bebel

There's a 1953 P-1B helmet that I found in his box several years ago. I then added a correct MS-22001 mask from the same year and USAF G-2 sunglasses.

P helmets had a near white edge roll. But soon after to have been exposed to natural light, the edge roll became more brown. The color difference is seen on this exemplar. Also note the pre-marked holes for a sun visor on the face of the helmet. P-1A and P-1B helmets directly manufactured with such a visor were designed P-3 helmet.

Franck

xn6f.jpg

unclegrumpy

bebel said:
Also note the pre-marked holes for a sun visor on the face of the helmet. P-1A and P-1B helmets directly manufactured with such a visor were designed P-3 helmet.
This helmet is particularly interesting in that it has the marks on the shell for the visor assembly, which the earlier ones don't have. It is also neat to see that this one was made about the same time the addition of the visor became standard on most factory produced "P" helmets.

It makes sense that they would continue to offer the choice of both versions, but I doubt that was done for long, because this is also about the same time the USAF was actively upgrading all the visorless "P" helmets in use by refitting them with visors. Not many early helmets made it through the 1950's without being modified.

These visorless "P" helmets are much scarer than people realize, and finding a mint in the box example is truly rare....congratulations!

bebel

unclegrumpy said:
It makes sense that they would continue to offer the choice of both versions, but I doubt that was done for long, because this is also about the same time the USAF was actively upgrading all the visorless "P" helmets in use by refitting them with visors. Not many early helmets made it through the 1950's without being modified.

To complete these additional good words (thanks for them): in 1955, the P-4 version was entering in service with a visor and a new communication set. Some P-1B and P-3 (and even some older P-1A) were retrofitted with this new standard. In addition, the visor of P-4 was not truly the same than the P-3 version.
Franck

unclegrumpy

bebel said:
To complete these additional good words (thanks for them): in 1955, the P-4 version was entering in service with a visor and a new communication set. Some P-1B and P-3 (and even some older P-1A) were retrofitted with this new standard. In addition, the visor of P-4 was not truly the same than the P-3 version.
I think one thing that gets confusing with these helmets, is the marking inside is often not actually what the helmets technically were. Meaning, as they were modified to the new standards, the label might say P-1B, but they might now be P-3s.

Not to nit pick, but there are two points I disagree with you on.

First, when you say "some" of the visorless helmets were modified, I would say almost all were converted into P-3s or P-4s during their service lives. I know several advanced collectors who do not have a visorless "P" helmet, and one that is constantly bothering me about finding one for him, and he has been collecting USAF gear for over thirty years. These visorless helmets have always been tough to find.

Second, the visors were first introduced as an upgrade in 1950, and I think were pretty well in service by the mid to late Korean War. This is one of the things that makes your 1953 dated visorless helmet especially rare and interesting. Even rarer is that somewhere along the line, that someone in life support did not open the box and upgrade it....which happened often.

I know you are a very advanced and knowledgeable collector, but I think this helmet maybe much scarcer than you realize.....like one of very few like it left in existence! :D

bebel

unclegrumpy said:
First, when you say "some" of the visorless helmets were modified, I would say almost all were converted into P-3s or P-4s during their service lives.

Thank you for your very good comments.

When I said "some", I wanted saying "those which were upgraded amongst P-1A/B". All old helmets didn't have been modified with the new standard and were simply out service.

I agree with you when you say that the label inside helmets are not telling always the exact standart of the helmet itself. It really could be a problem for newest collectors. So, forums and books are there for that! :D

Franck

unclegrumpy

bebel said:
When I said "some", I wanted saying "those which were upgraded amongst P-1A/B". All old helmets didn't have been modified with the new standard and were simply out service.
True, but I think with the earliest production "P" helmets, "out of service" for most of them meant going to the garbage pile.