• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAF N3B f model

Phantomfixer

I picked up another nylon N3B today at a flea market here in town. I am thinking it is from the mid 60s. Is nylon with wolf hair but no tabs or winged star...it is a f model..but the neat thing is the chest stamp...this is the second time I have seen this type of stamping on a local AF jacket...a larger laundry stamp? unit stamp for sign out?

the newer one is on the right side

Rutger

Is that actually wolf, or is it coyote? Are there specs that say which fur is to be used for this type of jacket and predecessors/successors?
Was there a moment that natural fur was replaced by artificial fur?
Lot of questions, but as a kid of the seventies I grew up in a country where natural fur was frowned upon, so I'm just curious how this evolved for these jackets.

I like the type, but I think it's quite the North Pole kind of jacket, isn't it?

Phantomfixer

Dunno if wolf or coyote but it is the natural fur vs the white stuff found on the mid 70's and later jackets...and yes it is toasty...I never wore mine while in the AF too bulky on the flightline around the planes....heck I hardly wear them around town now...but they are fun to collect...