• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USAF A-2 with pencil pocket on sleeve...

Phantomfixer

So I was at the local sub shop getting lunch off base....in walks an AD flyer with a nice russet A-2 and holy moly...he has a pencil pocket complete with a zip compartment and slots for the pens,,just like the 36 and 45 series jackets....on his left sleeve..all matching hide colors...but the zip pull looked like something from overseas...kinda dangling pull like an ear ring phooey...

My first thought was WTF???? you just ruined your A-2, then I was thinking how utilitarian it is to a flyer to have a pocket on the sleeve.....vs the interior....so I dig it..ear plugs can go in em...and very handy for the pens or pencil when writing in the forms...

has anyone run across any other issue A-2s with the pocket? I am thinking he had it custom overseas...maybe Pops in Turkey

Monsoon

I've never seen one. The most "customization" I ever saw was a guy in my section had a red lining and blood chit sewn into his when he was in Korea.

Rutger

I'd like an inner pocket, that's what I miss on the A-2.
On nylon jackets I always use the arm pocket to keep the credit/pay card, and the inner pocket for my passport.
Money and identity gets you anywhere, and being zipped or buttoned is just a bit safer than in loose the back pocket of the trousers.

As a "collector" I wouldn't want either on my A-2's, but for practicallity they should have been included back then.