• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

usaaf tropical flight helmet

mr_lits

As an avid WWII flight helmet collector I can say I have never seen one of these before. The wiring looks postwar and appears similar to the Brit configuration. I looked through a few of my reference books and could not find any mention of this particular model of helmet. Sure sold for a bit of coin though and never having seen one before I bet it is quite rare.

dmar836

Rare doesn't always mean pricey. Perhaps it is but, as with anything historical, NOT without provenance/documentation. Certainly a cool and legit helmet but the story quoted is silly and likely just isn't true simply based on the timing and the 1945 date.
Dave

FtrPlt

This helmet style is shown in Prodgers, "Vintage Flying Helmets" (pg 259) and is described as an experimental helmet. The example illustrated is also by Bates.