• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

US Government (Army/Navy) leather specifications

A

Anonymous

I 'd like to share some info I found a while ago (because deep down you know that not all my posts are BK advertisement).

Goatskin spec
------------------
U.S. Gov., Army-Navy Aeronautical Specification AN-L-24a-2; 1944. Leather; Goatskin

Horsehide spec
------------------
U.S. Gov., U.S. Army, Army Air Forces. Specification 9-77-B;. 1941. Leather, Horsehide (Chrome Tanned).

Cowhide spec
---------------
U.S. Gov., Army Air Forces. Specification 12028-C; 1941. Leather; Cattle Hide (Chrome Tanned).

There's also specs for Kangaroo leather, pigskin, sheepskins, chamois, elk leather, etc.

The above of course ends the speculation whether Horsehide A-2 were veg. or chrome tanned. I don't recall if Eastman's book mentions it, but here it is now with documented proof.

Andrew

ok Platon, (as coming from the Land of Skippy), can I ask do you know where and when did they specify Kangaroo skin? I doubt it would have had anything to do with the V505 label as it wasn't a US contract but i'm intrigued.

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew, unfortunately I don't have that info. Kangaroo is mentioned but no spec is given.

A

Anonymous

Where did you discover the information, and did they specify weight?

I don't have the full text of those specs, only the titles.
I think the full text could be made available if someone pays.

2BM2K

I don't recall if Eastman's book mentions it, but here it is now with documented proof.
The Eastman book does mention it. There are scans of parts of the original leather specifications which
do show that the leather was chrome-tanned and also shows other details of the leather spec. .

Roughwear

2BM2K said:
I don't recall if Eastman's book mentions it, but here it is now with documented proof.
The Eastman book does mention it. There are scans of parts of the original leather specifications which
do show that the leather was chrome-tanned and also shows other details of the leather spec. .

Platon this is old news. Gary's 2013 book goes into the issue of horsehide and cowhide in considerable detail. Have you not read it?

Roughwear

Deacon211 said:
Interesting that the goatskin isn't specified as Chrome tanned like the others.

The USAAF Specification no. 9-95 from 1941 is for goatskin. It specifies full grain chrome tanned goatskin. However I suspect some of the goatskin sourced from India was veg tanned.

2BM2K

@PLATON

Re;
Horsehide spec
------------------
U.S. Gov., U.S. Army, Army Air Forces. Specification 9-77-B;. 1941. Leather, Horsehide (Chrome Tanned).

Do you have a copy of this specification or is it available some where to buy?

The Eastman book does not have this spec. but instead shows the Pony hide spec, which of course is not horse.