• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Up to my arms in sleeves! Repro Irvin #5

jonnyboy

Hi guys,

While the wait continues for the new batch of sheepskin, I looked at the remaining pieces of sheepskin I had left and worked out that I had just enough to make a late-war multipanel jacket!

It's not finished yet (I'll hopefully finish it over the weekend) but I just thought I'd share a quick pic of it:

Multipanel1.jpg

My sewing machine is working properly now (the timing was out slightly) so it's been fairly smooth sailing on this jacket. I'm really happy with the pattern, and have become a fan of multiple seam tapes! I'll post more photos when it's finished.

I hope you like it.

Cheers,

Jon

Falcon_52

It looks great, Jon! Your workmanship just keeps getting better. I hope your next batch of hides looks as good as these. The leather surface and the fleece look right on.

Out of curiosity, do you have a special machine to do the seam taping or do you use a regular machine?

Regards,

Noel

NW Carver

Jon-stop tempting me again...please!! :)) I have taken some comparison pictures of the repro that I bought from you against my large original..talk about almost identical...I will try to post them this evening :)

NW Carver

Hi Jon and all

As promised, here are the pictures of my original Irvin against Jons repro - as can be seen the leather grain is identical and in the arm shots, and especially the body shots, its difficult to tell the difference!

Also, if you look at my original, you can just see a name written on the back 'Jonnie H Reeve' I think - still trying to find out some info on this name. Andrew would be great if you could ID my Irvin - I was told that its a 1937 Links but I am not 100% certain (as usual the label is missing)...

Comparison of both
Picture289-1.jpg

Original Irvin
Picture281-2.jpg

Sleeve Comparison
Picture290-1.jpg

Body Comparison
Picture292-1.jpg

Original Irvin back
Picture287-1.jpg

Close up of back
Picture288-2.jpg

Original Irvin Front
Picture280-2.jpg

Getting ready for an Op at Biggin Hill
Picture006-2.jpg

Breifing my pilots for a night patrol in Malta
Picture269-1.jpg

Roughwear

Very nice comparison Nigel. Your original dates to around 1940 and was most likely made by Irvin Air Chute, having the squarer ended collar, medium belt loops and other features associated with this maker. Links jackets had more rounded collar ends. Does it have smaller collar rings?

NW Carver

Hi Andrew

Thanks for that :D
It has AM stamped one side, and Lift the dot other side zip pulls-which are black painted metal. The collar rings are small-I will take a closer picture later :)

Many thanks for confirming this-I originally thought it was a wareings-but it is hard to tell for me on this one :) Just wish I could find out about the chap who had it...

Roughwear

Nigel, AM is first seen stamped on zip pullers from 1940. I have a 1939 Wareings Irvin so you can see some of the differences from this tread-wide belt loops, large collar rings and a very square collar.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11013

NW Carver

Thanks Andrew - just checked and it has large metal loops on the collar - so definately a Irvin Air Chute jacket :D

You have a great collection of Irvins, amazing!! I am sooo jealous! ;)

Okay, just need to find out about the chaps name on the back of the jacket now...

Roughwear

IAC jackets had small or medium collar rings. DGL used large collar rings and their jackets are very similar to IAC ones. If you post pics of the collar rings and the underarm vents I might be able to tell you if it is definitely IAC or DGL.

Roughwear

Thanks for the pics. The rings are too large for those commonly seen on IAC jackets, unless they have been replaced at some stage, which is unlikely! The belt loops are too wide for DGL, and not wide enough for Wareings. Besides the arrangement of the under-arm vent holes do not conform to the typical Wareings pattern. So at present all I can say is it dates to 1940 and was made by a yet unidentifiable maker, possibly one of the several small sub-contractors who were needed by the leading makers to fulfil their AM contract requirements.

jonnyboy

Great photos Nigel!

Your original jacket looks great, and it's interesting seeing them together.

I'm hoping to finish the size 44 multipanel later today. I've just got to sew the sleeves on, make the collar and do a bit of finishing off, such as zip pulls, label, etc.

Cheers,

Jon

NW Carver

Thanks Andrew - can't believe that I stumped you on this one :D Yep, the rings are original, the zips have the herringbone pattern on the zip tape, everything is original and where it should be - the buckle/belt looks very similar to your IAC jackets but the rings are too big...

If it helps, it has a hanging chain in the jacket at the neck that is sewn into the fleece - its not sewn through the leather and out the other side but just tacked into the fleece itself..which seems odd considering the weight of the jacket.

Wish I had the label! :D

Jon - thanks mate, still can't believe how close to my original your jacket is - especially with the leather! Wore it at the weekend for bonfire night with a sweatshirt and my jeans and was really warm....interestingly I met up with my dad, who gave me a RAF Parachute bag that my nan used to use to carry her washed towels in when she went to the caravan!!!!

Sadly, she passed away this year (at the grand age of 100) and dad thought I might like it after finding it in her effects - he remembers it from when he was little (in the 1950s) but neither of us know how she got it.

The bag has faded a little from where nan washed it but still has a pristine AM and crown mark in the side. Interestingly, the zip is missing the slide and I can't do it up but the zip teeth still have all their remaining black paint on them, i.e. the zip never appears to have been used...So I just need to find a lighting zip pull now in brass...:))

Please post pic's of your finished multipanel - would love to see it when your done.

Smithy

Jonny,

I think I congratulated you on your Irvin repro efforts over at the Fedora Lounge but for something so well done I have to say again!

You are seriously tempting me to put some cash your way for one of these down the line although my wife would no doubt have kittens about getting another Irvin when I already have my ELC :)

I have an A-2 purchase coming up next but the photos of your Irvins are really making me think.

Cheers and once again well done,

Tim

NW Carver

Hi Tim

I know how you feel-this jacket is such a good repro that it's making me think about getting another!!! One for best and one to wear and get battered when doing my living history....

:)))