• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unusual Zipper Assembly For a G&F M-422A

Maverickson

Hi All,

This one is a first for me http://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-WW-2-BuAe ... 337e765631. That Talon zipper assembly appears to be blackened brass, not nickel as usual & unless I'm mistaken original to the jacket! I understand that this same version of this zipper had been used on W&G M-422As but this is the first example I have ever seen like this used on a G&F. It is so unusual I've decided to save a couple of photos so those images are maintained.

T2eC16JHJGQE9noMZLWPBQjLGgONw60_57.jpg

KGrHqJHJFUFCzOI7mEBQWruH0g60_57.jpg

T2eC16VHJGkE9no8hl2BQWuOz7w60_57.jpg

Cheers, Dave

A

Anonymous

I think this is just an old dirty nickel zipper.
The jacket seems to be in nice shape, but can use new mouton and new knits.

MikeyB-17

It does look like it's been blackened-but it doesn't look like brass, especially if you use the zoom on the pic. Did they blacken nickel zips?

Maverickson

Hi All,

Not only does this Talon zipper assembly look brass & blackened it has a early model Talon box attached. I have two G&F M-422A jackets. They have their original zippers and none of them look like this one!

Notice that this zipper box has TALON written across it.

Cheers,Dave

A

Anonymous

the nickel zippers of that era contained zinc in them
they had nothing to do with the modern nickel zips
I think that is not blackened it's just the oxidization. I could be wrong.
But one thing I am sure I am not wrong is that this isn't brass.

Maverickson

PLATON said:
I think that is not blackened it's just the oxidization. I could be wrong.
But one thing I am sure I am not wrong is that this isn't brass.

I think that it looks kinda like this blackened & brass one.

004-5.jpg

Cheers, Dave

MikeyB-17

Hang on a mo-I recall somewhere somebody mentioned Talon zips being lacquered brown on some jackets. I've just checked John's CD but it wasn't there. Whether they were nickel or brass I don't remember-but that one still doesn't look like brass to me, although brass does vary in colour and is not always that yellowish shade we're all familiar with. The zipper box on the one Maverickson posted looks very much like it's been lacquered brown.

Skip

The wear around the slider edges looks like its showing the real metal finish underneath, I have modern zippers that are coated, and look like this after such wear.