• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

unknown navy jacket

watchmanjimg

I don't collect Navy and therefore am not terribly familiar with their uniforms, but to me that looks like poorly maintained tropical worsted fabric rather than khaki. I would think this is a typical officer's summer service uniform.

watchmanjimg

watchmanjimg said:
I don't collect Navy and therefore am not terribly familiar with their uniforms, but to me that looks like poorly maintained tropical worsted fabric rather than khaki.

I just realized I misspoke earlier. I meant to say that the fabric does not appear to be canvas as stated by the seller, but poorly maintained tropical worsted.

unclegrumpy

Not canvas....possibly a worsted wool blend...though also likely a tropical cotton "Panama" style weave ...in any event it, it is shrunken and a mess.

The uniform looks like the old dress khakis, like this one.

But it has the color of the old working greens, like this one.

Khakis were cotton and the Greens were a wool blend.

Yes, this is an old Service Dress Khaki blouse, without the shoulder boards and it appears the buttons. The khaki uniform was originally approved for aviators in the '20's; it was a summer uniform, and the corresponding Aviation Green in the photo above, was the winter. Both uniforms at first had stripes on the sleeves, but sometime during WW II the khaki uniform went to shoulder boards, while the greens retained the stripes on the sleeves. Khaki uniforms were first extended outside the aviation community in 1931 when submarine officers were authorized to wear them, then around 1938 they were extended to all officers. Prior to the khaki/greens, the standard uniforms for officers were the high-collared whites (summer) and high-collared blues (winter). I always thought the khaki's were the best looking of all Navy uniforms and were my favorite. I acquired a set of greens in San Diego in the late '60's and found them very comfortable. They wore like iron and would barely wrinkle. They were a work uniform and not allowed off base. Both of these uniforms disappeared for a while but I think the khaki has returned as I have seen some photos of admirals wearing them. Unfortunately, the greens seem to be gone forever. I've still got mine resting up in the closet, just in case.