• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unknown Maker 1756 Original

Rutger

I like the subdued/faded art on the back - looks better than many current repro's paintings with colours so bright you need sunglasses to look at them. But then, maybe this one had them equally bright back when they were painted (only to wear a bit more every time a parachute harness was strapped into).

jschare

Here are pics of the person the jacket was issued to. He was a navigator, not a pilot. My mistake in talking with his son. He eventually did become a pilot.

Here is his info from find a grave

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=86966037

c489e4c4dfe865122967fdc7a953ef51.jpg

6a2704956a10c74d3b933fef42f580a2.jpg

Cobblers161

Beautiful jacke, the artwork is fantastic.

Can anyone tell me why Fordham is named though? This was a fighter base and the only bombers to fly out of there were 9th Air Force. Intrigued more than anything….

Roughwear

Thanks for sharing the pictures of this painted Perry Sportswear A2. Do you know if the nose art was undertaken whilst he was still in active service or afterwards? BTW. This contract dates to the summer of 1944.

jschare

Roughwear said:
Thanks for sharing the pictures of this painted Perry Sportswear A2. Do you know if the nose art was undertaken whilst he was still in active service or afterwards? BTW. This contract dates to the summer of 1944.

This was when he was in. He also served in Korea and Vietnam and retired as a Colonel in 1968.

dmar836

Quite nice. Thanks for sharing. I agree about the subtleness of the paint - even the content. Few would think to replicate that.
Dave