• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

United Sheeplined A2 in superb condition

Roughwear

Earlier in the year I bought this beautifully preserved United Sheeplined A2 from Victor. I have owned several A2s from this contract, but this is by far in the best. On 18th May 1942 United Sheeplined Clothing Co was awarded a contract for 25,000 A2s and it was their only contract for A2s.

It is quite similar to the Bronco design, but has the shoulder seam centered under the epaulet as opposed to behind it. This one has an M-41 Talon zip although Crowns and Conmars were used in the contract. DNA testing has proved that Cowhide was used in the contract, but I'm not sure if this jacket is cowhide or horse hide.

The jacket is in almost perfect condition with only a few signs of wear at the collar, but no rips, just a little grubbiness! The AM inspector stamp is very clear. The moths have kept away from the knits, which is quite unusual these days. The label is crisp as is the smaller pocket size label showing size 42. It is a generous size 42 and similar to some 44s in my collection. All in all its a great jacket and I very grateful to Victor for offering it to me.

CBI

looks great, and excellent example - enjoy!!!

foster - you can find those mini AAF sweetheart pins from time to time.......

Roughwear

Thanks guys. The mini winged AAF pin was on the jacket when I bought it and looks as if it has been there for a long time.

chamboid

Really nice Andrew. It's a nice contract the Sheeplined. Really nice details, and the pocket shape is lovely. Looks like a great jacket, nice solid couloir, and nice to be all original. Do you think this example is bovine leather?

Collar pin is a nice touch as well.

Silver Surfer

yup, one of the nicest, unmolested a-2s to come my way. im most glad that its a good fit for andrew. it was just too big for me. nutz. its a generous size 42. the label size tag is probably correct, as i had a size 40 us that fit like a 42. i have encountered this kinda "up-sizing" in donis as well.

Rutger

Awesome.
It sort of appears to me that the jacket has been worn relatively often, but always very carefully and never under harsh conditions.
Just a thought.

Roughwear

Rutger said:
Awesome.
It sort of appears to me that the jacket has been worn relatively often, but always very carefully and never under harsh conditions.
Just a thought.

You correct about it being worn carefully. It has certainly been worn, but for how long and how often is anyone's guess.

dmar836

Love the dark "dirty" areas. If one tried to remove that, they'd have suede for sure! Looks great.
Thanks,
Dave

TankBuster

Very nice Andrew. That pin in the collar is really neat. I've seen it done on one other jacket and always thought it was a cool touch.

Marv

I saw this jacket at Legends and it is one sweet A2 and as Andrew describes near perfect, so perfect in fact that you could be fooled into to thinking that it is a high end repro it's that nice.

blackrat2

Those pictures look fantastic guys,I couldn't get to the show owing to work,was it good.
I am being told that in the light of Shoreham that things have really changed at Farnborough..canal tow paths are being shut along with numerous roads when flying starts.