• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unit ID?

dujardin

no idea....

strange ... when you count the number of stars...... 9 and 11

have you an idea if its ww2 era or postwar ?
and is it an Army or Air Force unit ????

a2jacketpatches

Thanks gents, it seems to be the earliest version of the patch from the 50's. Just about 4 inches in diameter is typical of the era. The 50's stuff is my new direction in collecting because they are still out there. I figure they'll only increase in value and are fairly cheap these days, about 10 bucks. Before subdued was introduced in the 60's, colorful, large, early cut edge and embroidery, and lots of different units compared to WW2. Should be a fun hobby for now and pretty rare when I'm old and gray.

Rutger

I started picking up some about a year ago as well, partially to get me a nice repro jacket with patches of my own choice, partially because the era of fifties/sixties/seventies is the most interesting part of military aviation, and partially because the designs appeal (well, that's actually decisive; if it's not attractive, I don't care). And then, it's an old hobby that was expensive when I was 16, but now the availability of patches is endless and quite affordable.

My basic reference is usafpatches.com, secondary is wikipedia for unit histories (lineage, components, aircraft, stations etc).
I'm hardly an expert, a well crafted repro that fits in neatly in the era would do it just as well for me.
A bit off from the usual is always nice.

Main source is ebay, but only prices within reason. Many are like $125 up to $200 when BIN, but will show up every now and then as an auction and can be had for $35, and often not even half of that.

5th Strategic Recon Wing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5th_Bomb_Wing
Picked it up because I don't see them often, whereas many patch versions of the 5th Bomb Wing are pretty easy to obtain.

305th Bomb Wing, Hustler era. What can I say. The sexiest bomber ever designed.

319th Bomb Wing. Bought this one for the added upper scroll. Not terribly rare, but unusual enough to appeal.

1st Tactical Recon Sqdn. Part of USAFE for several decades and flew the RF-4C. I was/am a fan of USAFE, though nowadays they're but a shadow of the seventies/eighties. The Alone, Unarmed and Unafraid makes recce a bit more heroic (Alone, Unarmed and Scared Sh*tless was also mentioned when I found some recce info on the internet). This is the early version, the later version is more aggressive but over the top compared to this one.

52nd Fighter Wing (Air Defense), from the sixties. Particular because of the separate lower scroll. Part of USAFE, so I saw their aircraft pretty often. The only Wild Weasel unit in Europe.

a2jacketpatches

I'm with you on all points, in about twenty years of searching, I've only run across a few WW2 era Squadron Patches at other than top dollar dealers prices. So collecting them is pretty much out of the question considering most are 200- and up. But these 50's and early 60's seen to be coming up for me out here in the West. Lots of things going on in the remote areas of Nevada during the 50's. Also, Vietnam era packs and equipment seem to be around as well. So I'll be grabbing whatever I can, as the WW2 stuff gets harder to find I think 50's cold war to Vietnam will be hot pretty soon.

PM sent