• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unissued USN M-41/N-4 deck jacket

Peter Graham

I picked this up a while back from Steve Cobblers who bought it from Havocpaul. It fitted neither of them. This is an un-issued example of the WW2 US Navy version of the M-41 field jacket, designated the N-4, something I didn't know till recently. It still has all the cutter tags in place, eight of them. Surely not too many left like this. This is one of those dilemmas that happen to me occasionally when I pick up a mint jacket. What do I do with it, but as I'm a wearer more than a collector then the cutter tags will have to go. I'm very fond of the M-41 pattern so this one will definitely get some wear. As an aside, I've never come across a period photo of one of these jackets being worn. Can anyone help ? Here's some photos.

dujardin

splendid one

if i remember well, in the book ''spearheading DDay'', there are some photos you are searching for

havocpaul

Looks great being worn, so glad it finally fits one of us! Yes, in the "Spearheading D-Day" book there are some being worn in period photos, I have somewhere an old copy of National Geographic which had a large article on the USN and there was a pic there if I recall. My search for a M-41 that fits still continues.....

bazelot

Great jacket Peter. I used to own a mint example but I sold it. I still have one thta was owned and worn by a WWII pilot. I saw a lot of WWII pictures of them being worn.

Cobblers161

So pleased it works on you Pete, I was absolutely gutted that it didn't fit me, I have my obsession with US Navy Cloth and this is an absolute minter.

Really really happy for you...honest!

If anyone has a larger version for sale I'm all ears!

Peter Graham

Cheers Steve. Thanks for passing it on. I know how you feel. I had to sell a mint N-1 a while ago because it was too small.