• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Typical jacket buyer profile

Curahee

What would be the profile of a typical A-2/G-1 etc. etc. buyer, from a marketing standpoint?
for example:

- Male 99%
- Mostly caucasian
- Between 30 and 60 years of age
- Conservative
- Financially well of
- American 60%, Japanese 30%, European 10% (no Arabs I quess)

I think we are a very small group of maybe 5000 people worldwide and that this group is slowly shrinking every year because
everybody younger than 30 has no feeling with WW2 era. Could be completely wrong of course, so feel free to spout your
comments.

zoomer

I'm interested to know the proportion of us who are not military veterans. I suspect that, among American jacketeers at least, we're a minority or at best a sub-group.

The military angle may also explain your hypothesis that we're "conservatives." All kinds of people serve in the military, of course, but not all celebrate its history or culture.

And yes, this group and its predecessors have AFAIK been one hundred percent male. We had a lady pilot register a couple of editions ago, but she only posted once, probably never even lurked.

Jason

I'd say I fit the given profile pretty closely, with a few minor exceptions:
I'm financially very average, to below. Firmly middle class, single income.
I've never served in any of our forces, but I have contracted to them on several occasions.
And I've been interested in military history for almost as long as I can remember - starting out with an interest in WW2 naval carrier operations in the Pacific when I was just 10 or 12 years old, later becoming interested in the Korean confilct, and it just never stopped.

But you're right, when I was 10, WW2 had been over for only 35 years, still fresh in the minds of many. For anyone born now, by the time they're blowing out 10 candles on their birthday cake, that war will be a distant 73 year old memory.

Hawkeye

I wouldnt agree with the assertion that all young people have no interest in the ww2 era, although I admit we're not a huge group. I'm 21 and have been interested in flight jackets for the past few years, and WW2 for at least a decade before that. Although I am male, caucasian and conservative. ;)

Tha majority of flight jacket collectors I know, Japanese and honkeys included, are liberals. The minority are wealthy, most middle or working class.
The "Arab" assertation is patently incorrect.

A

Anonymous

Right on! Arabs are standing in huge lines as we type, to get A-2's and G-1's to wear in mecca. Thanks for the far reaching insight on buying patterns, any other "jems" you would like to share?

Atticus

I'm male.
I'm caucasian.
I'm of average means.
I've never been in the military.
I'm between the ages of 30 and 60.
I'm conservative, but definitely not in the way that most people here would employ that term.

AF

wing nut said:
Right on! Arabs are standing in huge lines as we type, to get A-2's and G-1's to wear in mecca. Thanks for the far reaching insight on buying patterns, any other "jems" you would like to share?

"Eat too much falafel and you'll feel awful."

Well, I'm male, white, on the lower end of the age range, not conservative, and I've never been in the military. The only other person I know with an interest in jackets outside the forum types exactly the same as I do.

I do have an interest in military history and in pre-jet aviation, but really my interest runs more towards vintage clothing, which I've collected ever since I've had an income. I don't see much of a connection between my interest in jackets and an interest in the military. It may be that most people under the age of thirty lack the means to have an interest in jackets.

Conservative is a difficult category, it can mean very different things in different countries or different continents.

I believe I remember two French/Arab members on the previous forum, a pair of brothers who posted infrequently.

A

Anonymous

wing nut said:

Saddam Hussein - top row, far left.
Pervez Musharraf - top row, fourth from left.
John Mcenroe - top row, fifth from left.
OBL (minus beard) - bottom row, first on left.
Ahmadinejad - bottom row, second from right.

2Isfahan20pilots20with20F-14_JPG.jpg

A

Anonymous

Tranquility Base said:
wing nut said:

Saddam Hussein - top row, far left.
Pervez Musharraf - top row, fourth from left.
John Mcenroe - top row, fifth from left.
OBL (minus beard) - bottom row, first on left.
Ahmadinejad - bottom row, second from right.

2Isfahan20pilots20with20F-14_JPG.jpg
They dont count-most of them are either dead or flew to Iran!

A

Anonymous

Also, I dont think they bought them from E bay, but it was a good one!! You got me!! :oops:

rikitiki

I also believe that the typical jacket buyer has a) seen b) owns c) and was influenced to buy a jacket by "12 O'Clock High" and "Top Gun."

Peter Graham

Curahee said:
What would be the profile of a typical A-2/G-1 etc. etc. buyer, from a marketing standpoint?
for example:

- Male 99%
- Mostly caucasian
- Between 30 and 60 years of age
- Conservative
- Financially well of
- American 60%, Japanese 30%, European 10% (no Arabs I quess)

I think we are a very small group of maybe 5000 people worldwide and that this group is slowly shrinking every year because
everybody younger than 30 has no feeling with WW2 era. Could be completely wrong of course, so feel free to spout your
comments.
You say from a marketing standpoint so you must be referring to repro buyers. Apart from the odvious ones, where do your stats come from ? Do no Aussies or anyone from the Far East buy jackets ? Mostly caucasian, what about the 30% who are Japanese ? Could all the repro makers exist together in a market of 5000 people ? As for the buyers being conservatives, where do you get that from and buyers being well off, if they are anything like me they are anything but, mainly because of buying jackets ! To quote a well known British phrase "You are talking bollocks". No offence meant.

taikonaut

I think there are lot more than 5,000.
50 million world wide would be a more believable figure and number growing every year.
The main obstacle is affordability and availability. Of course there is a much smaller group of several thousand enthusiasts/re-enactors that buys everything under the sun and study its history.

Peter Graham

taikonaut said:
50 million world wide would be a more believable figure and number growing every year.
50 million worldwide ! That's as bad as 5000. Where did you get that figure !

zoomer

taikonaut said:
Of course there is a much smaller group of several thousand enthusiasts/re-enactors that buys everything under the sun and study its history.
And of course they're all hopeless, drooling gun nuts, ie: conservatives. :lol: :mrgreen: :D :lol:

taikonaut

Peter Graham said:
taikonaut said:
50 million worldwide ! That's as bad as 5000. Where did you get that figure !

OK 500 million then!
50 million was a conservative estimate, its not precise but for me a more believable estimate base on what sort of jacket men would choose to wear and both existing and potential markets. For example almost every Japanese male under 60 either enthusiast or casual dressers would have at one time or another bought the look. Now we have the rising China market. As you have said there a many repro jacket makers out there and to make that a worthwhile business there must be a bigger demand than 5,000. Thats true but also they are more expensive targetting the enthusiast/collector market. Cheaper repro and general modern day variants, ie Cooper, US Wings, Indiana Jones types all the way to third world copies that entered into the commercial psych for decades are often the ones cater for the millions of customers who would prefer not to read too strongly on avaiation history but find the look appealing because their mates wore them or they saw something like that in films.

hacker

Atticus said:
I'm male.
I'm caucasian.
I'm of average means.
I've never been in the military.
I'm between the ages of 30 and 60.
I'm conservative, but definitely not in the way that most people here would employ that term.

AF

WTF?.......Are you posting on Find a Date. Com? :lol: :lol: :lol: ........and with that said....."I'm conservative, but definitely not in the way that most people here would employ that term.".....we really don't want to go there.... :eek:

Hack