• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Type B4 , Bag , Flyers Clothing , ID'd Researched to 487th FS Pilot

Carl

This came to me from late uncles collection , and was the first piece that i fully researched and finally made contact with the guys family .
DSCF4102.JPG
DSCF4103.JPG

Lt Phanor Breslee Waters KIA 23rd September 1944 , while flying air cover over Holland .His aircraft was called "Gracie" and its serial number was 44-7094

His MACR was filed by Lt Col J C Meyers , quote

" Lt Waters was a member of red flight led by Capt Johnson , consisting of Lts Clark and Ayers . When Lt Col Meyer ,squadron leader was in the vicinity of Hengelo, he was called by Capt Johnsonat about 17.30 hrs who asked his posistion and gave that of his flight as vicinity Almelo. Capt Johnson said he was taking a heading of 270 . A short while later LT Taylor heard what he thought was Capt Johnson telling his flight to "break"
Nothing else was heard or is known concerning the flights failure to return "

Lt Waters cadet pic
IMG_0167.JPG

His aircraft that he lost his life in .
HO-S HEDY & JOSEPHINE 43-7094 LT PICKERING-4.jpg

Lt Pickering , standing on the port side of " Gracie "
HO-S HEDY & JOSEPHINE 43-7094 LT PICKERING-32.jpg

Grave marker in Margarten cemetery , with a card i had left at the marker .
IMG-20150923-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20150923-WA0007.jpg

falcon_ib

Great research and very special that you were able to visit his grave and keep his memory alive.
It reminds me of the footlocker I found in a trash pile about to get thrown in the landfill, that was named to a US Marine Corps helicopter pilot killed in a mid-air collision over Vietnam in 1968.
To some, these pieces are just old junk but each one truly has a story to tell.

Evan