• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Type A-2...Steve McColgan Clothing

442RCT

If it'd been the right size, and hh, it might have been a good deal for my orphan A-2 collection.

jack aranda

I might have a go at this one. I'm having a patch made by another member here; it would look quite spiffy on that 5" roundel. I'll keep an eye on it; hopefully, bidding will not get too crazy in the final hours. :)

Steve McGolgan A-2's. They're were and maybe still are a good second-tier repro. I had one about 10 years ago; mine was caramel-colored. Leather had some character. Knits and cloth were good. The maker didn't dismantle an original to get an authentic pattern! That's for sure. But not a bad repro. Sleeves were disproportionally long, as I recall. If you can pick one up for $125 or less, probably a good deal. Comparable to or maybe a notch up from a US Authentic, in my opinion. A little wear and tear and, from 20 feet or so, they can have the look.

stubbyeighth

Silver Surfer

as i remember, these jacs had a label that said steve mcclogan, contract#?, somewhere or other ca . they were being offered in army-navy surplus catalogs for $125, and then for $75, during the late 1980s- early 1990s. avioitec has one [carmel colored] that he tries to sell on ebay for several hundreds$. yup, they were a step up from avirex, flight suits, etc, and yup, they all had exceptionally long arms [orang stuff], however, as a starter, they were ok, in fact a step better then ok. great beaters, chore jackets. as to "authenticy", they aint. i would contact the seller and ask him for measurements made in the way that most of us consider when discussing a-2s, as his measurement seem to be screwy. ps: the ones that i have seen, or owned, have been carmel colored, and this is the first seal that i have seen,,,,redye? dunno.

jack aranda

Hi, Silver Surfer:
Thanks for the cautionary notes. A lot of info in your post. Causes me to rethink a bit my notion of going after this jacket. A 'beater', though, is exactly what I'm looking for. Something of fairly low value on which to mount my whimsical patch. I'd NEVER patch my GW! Or my Aero A-1! But, an older relatively inexpensive second tier (as called out by stubbyeighth) would be jayroo for my project. Thanks to both of you.