• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two questions about B-10/B-15

Hawkeye

Couple things I've always wondered about.

1: The alpaca lining in the B-10/B-15, was it simply alpaca hair punched into some sort of retaining material for the lining, or is it actually the full skin with hair lining the jacket?

2: The B-15 vs B-15A, was it simply the addition of the triangular leather oxygen mask clips on the chest that differentiated the two jackets?

watchmanjimg

I'm nowhere near an expert on these jackets, but I believe the lining of the B-10/B-15 was the same type used in many other garments that I've had exposure to. As far as I know it's a wool/alpaca blend with a backing material as you described, more or less like a carpet.

I'll leave the other question to those with more knowledge on the subject. :D

Weasel_Loader

They also added mic tabs at the armpits for the B-15A. So yes, they only differences were the mic wire and mask tabs. ;)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Like Jim says with the lining, a wool/alpaca blend. Combat Flying Clothing describes it as 50/50 alpaca-and-wool-pile fabric.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Weasel_Loader said:
They also added mic tabs at the armpits for the B-15A. So yes, they only differences were the mic wire and mask tabs. ;)

That's what I assumed, and if they were absent, they had been removed post war. However in this thread, Peter Graham, and Hacker, tell us otherwise ...

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3339

hacker

deeb7 said:
Weasel_Loader said:

That's what I assumed, and if they were absent, they had been removed post war. However in this thread, Peter Graham, and Hacker, tell us otherwise ...

http://vintageleatherjackets.org/viewto ... =20&t=3339

Wow...what a memory! Yep I did have a B-15A that was in truly mint condition, that did not have those triangle leather tabs. In fact I have seen several other originals that way. They were in the minority, but certainly were made that way.

Hacker

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
hacker said:
Wow...what a memory! Yep I did have a B-15A that was in truly mint condition, that did not have those triangle leather tabs. In fact I have seen several other originals that way. They were in the minority, but certainly were made that way.

Hacker

Thanks, Hacker. :)

I wish we could figure this out, John's CD doesn't help ...

The design is quite similar to the B-15, with the addition of oxygen hose clip tabs on the chest, along with vox tabs for the cables which connect to the helmet.

Maybe it's the wider pocket on the shoulder, or some difference in the pattern?