• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Twenty Third Bombardment Squadron

Maverickson

Through my interest in early Hawaiian aviation flight covers, I have come into a collection of early Army Air Corps memorabilia that I would like to share with the forum members. These items once belonged to an Army Air Corps aviator named Gilbert Tefft and contemparary of Charles Lindberg. Gilbert Tefft graduated a cadet from Brooks Field Texas in 1925 and later through his affliliation with an aviation asignment in Hawaii became one of the first pilots for Inter Island Airways Ltd., the predecessor of Hawaiian Airlines. This was Lt. Teffts final computation of flight hours entered in his US Army flight log book which directly proceeds into his initial logs to his next 19 years of tenure as an airline captain with Inter-Island Airways Ltd.

TefftInterIslandAirwaysLTD-1.jpg

The last asignment then Second Lieutanant Tefft completed in the Army Air Corps before being hired away in 1930 to Hawaii's fledgling airlines was a stint at Luke Field, Oahu Hawaii with this group of Army aviators from the Twenty Third Bombardment Squadron.

HIBombardment-1.jpg

No doubt, due to the warm temperatures and high humidity within the Islands I found few photographs within this collection of anyone wearing anything resembling a leather flight jacket. However, this squadron insignia was found on the back of a Christmas dinner invation which dated 1927.

HIBombardmentX-MAS-1.jpg

This winged skull would have been their insignia and maybe a patch that they wore on thier flight gear or something seen as an painted on the sides of their airplanes.

23rdBombardmentSquadron-1.jpg
KIAIOKALEWA.jpg

The Hawaiian translation of his insignia is 'Gaurdains Of The Upper Regions'. Interestingly enough this same insignia of the group dates the conception of the air group to Luke Field in 1918. Just prior to World War-II Luke Field reverted to the United States Navy to become Ford Island with the opening of Hickum Field. The group currently using this insignia, know as the 5th Bombardment Wing, currently flying B-52 Stratofortresses are out of North Dakota. This same insignia has obviously evolved over the years into this.

5th_Bomb_Wing.png

I hope that you enjoy this bit of Hawaiian aviation history.

Dave

I

zoomer

Thank you Dave! Please do show us more of Lieut. Tefft's collection sometime!

You may know that after 1935, the 23rd BS got a striking new insignia, inspired by a real-life event...
3263315045_f4b4729097.jpg

Minot AFB Public Affairs said:
The 23rd Bomb Squadron patch displays bombs being dropped on a volcano commemorating a lava-bombing mission Dec. 27, 1935. When the Mauna Loa volcano on the island of Hawaii erupted, threatening the city of Hilo, six Keystone B-6 bombers from the 23rd BS used precision bombing tactics to drop twenty bombs in the path of the volcano’s lava flow to save the city of Hilo by diverting the lava away from the city.
http://www.minot.af.mil/news/story_medi ... =123058353

The 5th at the time was a Composite Group (Pursuit/Bombardment).
In 1938 it became a Bomb Group (Medium), flying B-12s and B-18s.
They spent WW2 with the 7th and 13th AF's all over the PTO, as a Bomb Group (Heavy) flying first B-17s, then B-24s.

Here's a beautiful shot of a flight of Keystone Panthers from the 72nd BS, 5th Group, taken just off Honolulu in 1932.

click to enlarge