• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Toys McCoy NASA L-2

asiamiles

I was going to post this in the NASA Apollo Era Jacket thread in the 'Nylon' section, but with the recent board changes resulting in several of the photos once present now being missing, and the fact that this jacket is actually cotton, not nylon, I decided to give it its own thread...and believe me it deserves one.

I've been looking out for an 'undecorated' one of these for quite a while - TM's decorated Flying Pancake version seemingly being more common - and was very happy to finally snag one. I guess it's really just a commercial variant on the L-2B, but the mustard or gold (take your pick; TM use the latter but I think mustard is more accurate) colour seems to have been one that was adopted by NASA. It's a really beautifully made jacket with a salmon rayon lining and contrasting green knits; not only is it a keeper but I might keep an eye open for the blue-grey one they produce!

tmnasa_zpsdaxafgol.jpg

Last edited:

colekwok

Nice one, I have been looking for one for a while since the jacket appeared in Mythbusters. Cool jacket indeed!

Peter Graham

I really like that but it's strange that they decided to put an Army Air Forces stencil on it, or maybe the originals were made before 1947. It's not a jacket that I have any knowledge of.

asiamiles

I really like that but it's strange that they decided to put an Army Air Forces stencil on it
Personally, the presence of the AAF stencil doesn't bother me, but I'd agree that it almost certainly should not be there, and if they wanted to put a stencil on the jacket - and we know the Japanese love this kind of thing - it really should be a US Air Force one.

colekwok

I really like that but it's strange that they decided to put an Army Air Forces stencil on it, or maybe the originals were made before 1947. It's not a jacket that I have any knowledge of.

Oh, I really didn't notice that. That is really odd, considering that is from Toys. Regarding the patches, more is more for them, where as less is more for us here.