• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tooled Leather Patches

shedonwanna

I am a one man shop and usually don't take large orders but just finished a 100 patch project. If you are counting there are only 90 patches in the photo - first 10 were shipped before the total completed.

shedonwanna

CBI said:
that's a lot of work. What was the project? If you can say?

Can't reveal at this time but I will relate some details later as I get them. One of my associates brokered the deal so I did not deal directly with the customer. We are curious as to how all these will be used. Just to keep rumors from starting it was not one of the reproduction jacket manufacturers.

CBI

HMMMMMMMM??? Ok, well it can't be a WW2 thing since they are 50 star flags..........................

:shock:

shedonwanna

Really did not mean for this to be a mystery or guessing game. Just wanted to politely give an answer to CBI's question and defer the details for awhile. The purpose of the post was to show a multiple patch project. Most of my work for members of this forum is for one or two patches. The larger projects are often for active squadrons or unit/group reunions. Usually make sets of squadron patch, name tag, flag and shoulder patches.

a2jacketpatches

That's a lotta work alright, I tip my hat to you as I know how a single slip up can turn one of those patches to the scrap pile. I don't tool much because of that. If I mess up a component to a patch, toss it and make another. Can't do that when impressed right into the leather.

shedonwanna

dmar836 said:
I was just teasing. Those are all quite impressive. I imagine it takes some time tooling those.
I figured you were ("teasing") however, knowing the members of this forum, the discussion would digress into pages of clever witty comments that I, as author of the topic, would feel compelled to moderate. A task I am not interested in. I'd rather participate....

Perhaps they were made for the new historically accurate Disney movie. Anyone have an idea as to who got the jacket contract?

shedonwanna

a2jacketpatches said:
That's a lotta work alright, I tip my hat to you as I know how a single slip up can turn one of those patches to the scrap pile. I don't tool much because of that. If I mess up a component to a patch, toss it and make another. Can't do that when impressed right into the leather.

I use stamping dies and a homemade hydraulic press for these large navy squadrons. The commander of a P-3 Orion squadron convinced me to make their squadron patches and name tags. His supplier at the time had mispelled his name and was difficult to deal with. Still a lot of work stamping one patch at a time. I still tool small orders by hand and your right, once it is into the leather it is there to stay. Mistakes or I should say unintended features can sometimes be adressed with a little brushwork. Always looking for ways to use pieces from the scrap pile.

EMBLEMHUNTER

I do all my patches by hand , tool them same way , and have taken on some 10-20 of the same patch orders , it is VERY time consuming and VERY hard on the hands , but also rewarding seeing the finished lot, those tooling dies make for a lot easier time in making bigger lots , the real work then is the painting/dying of them .

shedonwanna

EMBLEMHUNTER said:
I do all my patches by hand , tool them same way , and have taken on some 10-20 of the same patch orders , it is VERY time consuming and VERY hard on the hands , but also rewarding seeing the finished lot, those tooling dies make for a lot easier time in making bigger lots , the real work then is the painting/dying of them .
These stamped navy squadron patches are something they have had done for years by other vendors and I just manged to get my foot in the door. These are still not "regulation" but they like them to have little to no variations. The stamping dies achieve this. I like to get them interested in "friday" patches which tie in to their history by using squadron designs from WWII and Korea and these are all done by hand.

Johnny, I actually own a 766th BS patch you made. Picked it up with some other patches at auction and was suprised to see you signiture on the back. I'll post an image on one of your threads.

EMBLEMHUNTER

hey , Great that you're trying to get the current Squadrons interested in their "older" lineages and designs , I like seeing the "Friday/Heritage" patches making a come back in the AF and USN and I think the USMC is doing this too , Funny how you ran across one of my patches in an auction , I don't recall who it originally went to , but glad you gave it a good home, and thanks for posting it over on the other section !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny

shedonwanna

For those who have inquired. Here are the available flag dimensions.
5 x 3-3/8 inch
4-1/2 x 3
3-5/8 x 2-5/8
also (not displayed) and avaialable for left or right shoulder
4 x 2-3/4

shedonwanna

Ok, These patches were made for NBC's "Revolution" series and have started to appear on the first episode which aired on Oct. 25. Considering the number of patches I have made - and continue to make - plenty more will show up on Patriots in future episodes.

@dlmillertx

shedonwanna said:
I am a one man shop and usually don't take large orders but just finished a 100 patch project. If you are counting there are only 90 patches in the photo - first 10 were shipped before the total completed.