• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time Worn option?

B-Man2

Some of the nicest looking worn beat up leather jackets I've seen were the hands of guys who road motorcycles.
Why?
Because they wore them thru every type of weather imaginable, slept in them, worked in them and generally just didn't care about how they beat them up.

Last edited:

M3Cavalry

M3Cavalry (aka Squadron Leader Brian Lane!;)) The TW treatment involves gentle sanding and rubbing and IMO is not always applied to areas where there is most wear, compared with originals. If you really want to age a jacket either gentle sand those areas which would have had most wear in the War, such as the top of the epaulets, leather where the wristlets join, just above the hem for example. Fine grade sand paper is best as it will remove the finish without damaging the leather below.

Thanks Andrew, and all. I've had it for about two years, and am seeing some slight wear. However, I'm a bit envious of the finish Eastman advertises on their Timeworn stuff. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if they'll do it.

Brian Lane indeed. One of my favorite photos--one that strips away the Battle of Britain aura and reminds me that it was a grim, desperate fight that made 23-year-old kids look like that.

Thomas Koehle

Well different material but also about “aging” ...

To remove that brand new look off my cloth jackets like B10 or the N1’s in my collection I also do some very slight sanding on the exposed spots.

Just check on one of your older garment (maybe a old denim jacket) to see which portions/parts show the most wear then do some slight sanding (600 grit) on the same parts of your new jacket

To finalize the procedure I throw ‘em in the washer (30 degree / no tumbling) and let ‘em hang dry

If not satisfied repeat the procedure - yep this is on cloth so on leather the effect should be achievable also pretty easy with the same procedure less washer.

As far as I remember there are also some pics in one of the Buzz RICKSON catalogues I own with a similar procedure - I can check wether I find it

And as far as I understood from their “manual” they use acetone for some rubbing instead of the sanding-paper to achieve a worn look

Finally I have to admit I wouldn’t even try to do something like this on a leather jackets which price wise exceeds the mark of 800/900 Euros

Dr H

I have an ELC .50 cal A-1 - love it, one of the most accurate patterns around. I’ve worn it regularly for several years and it’s simply getting better.

Dr H

The capeskin looks a little dry to my eye, John, but the grain and drape certainly resembles many of the period photos on John C’s site. It’s really convincing as a well worn, jacket though - I was really impressed by the image.
Not sure how well it stands up in use as I haven’t handled the new jacket, but my .50cal is really tough after the treatment.

M3Cavalry

For what it's worth, Eastman told me they will not do the Timeworn treatment on a customer's jacket--buy it that way or nothing. They did also confirm, however, that jackets that are only sold with Timeworn (Pearl Harbor and the Devon fleece Irvin) are returnable.

zoomer

I have a Timeworn Pearl A-2 in seal brown, bought well used. I feel it gives the steer a more noticeably "bovine" look, which I'm not sure I totally like.