• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thread to repair a vintage jacket

Hi, I´m in the need of replacing cuffs and waistband on a vintage AN-J-3A Navy jacket, Mr. Chapman has been very helpful providing me with replacements, but I forgot to ask him for some info on what kind of thread should be used for the work.

Since he is a busy man (and the less I disturb him the quicker he will get to making of my new Werber A-2) I´d rather ask it here to you folks. Also this way it will remain for future reference for all to enjoy ;) .

Thanks!!

Nice thread on thread indeed.

So I need cotton; is this something I can find easily on the local shops?. Or should I order it from a more pro source?, Any links or help welcome...

A

Anonymous

I went to some shops looking for cotton thread and they were looking at me as if I was from Mars.
It's all polyester these days.

DiamondDave

Platon,

Here is what is used by many of the manufacturers today for cotton thread.

http://charleszarit.com/charles_zarit_sewing_supply_005.htm

2/3 of the way down the page is "Button sewing thread" this is a size 16/4 (meaning gauge 16 and 4 threads twisted together to the left, which is standard) The "Dark Brown" seems to match A LOT of WWII military styles and colors.

Good luck, also get yourself a "large eye" leather sewing needle as this thread is HUGE.

Cheers,

DD