• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Salvation

tda003

I ran across this M-422A on eBay. I have a very nice one in my size on the way and have no personal use for another. However, since this one and I may well share the same birthday and are both veterans and probably both former Marines, I got to wondering if it's repairable and what might be involved short of replacing the entire back panel. Also if there are any of y'all that have the knowledge, who made it? Thanks.

Going to my happy place to pray for its redemption.

B-Man2

If the $'s were real, I'd be on my way to the bank!
Just offering an opinion on what you can expect for that type of restorative work . I had one restored a while back that didn’t require that much work and the work was outstanding but it’s not cheap . If you go that route I would suggest Dave Sheeley or Steve Sellers as both of them do outstanding restoration work .

tda003

Attachments

• eBayM422A.02.jpg
    eBayM422A.02.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 138

tda003

Very sorry and several mea culpas. The label was deleted because there is no label in this jacket, so I have no idea who made it and likely no way to find out. From the given measurements, it appears to be a size 44, not size 40.
too embarrassed to post emojis.

Micawber

Restoration salvation is best achieved by honing skills and DIY. Unless the item is exceptionally rare or has interesting and proveable provenance some of this stuff is just worn out old clothing.

tda003

Thanks. Just maudlin sentimentality on my part. I thought that if a simple repair would work, I'd undertake it. Thanks to your and Silver Surfer's advice, I let reality take hold. That's the beauty of this forum.

Smithy

You can't do anything about rot, only consolidate it with a product such as Klucel G, and that's also heavily dependent upon storage in a humidity controlled environment. We had several pieces of very historically important pieces which were affected by rot at the museum. The best you can do is consolidation, environmentally controlled conditions and minimal handling. Without these three things you're almost certain to see the rot and condition worsen.

tda003

If this were a historically important G-1, e.g. belonging to Roy Geiger or a named member of Col. Gregory Boyington's Black Sheep Squadron or the Great Santini, a friend, I'd buy it and spare no expense to see it preserved and presented to the Museum of the Marines or to that person's family. However, it's an unlabeled jacket attributed to no one and/or organization and there are or will be other, and better jackets to work with that merit my taking time away from fishing or hunting "Mr. Bob" or Bambi.. I'll pass and wait.