• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Those damn clown collars!

Tim P

i have never had a repro roughwear thta I felt comfortable in due to the collars. Originals, well I cant comment.
the best advice I can offer having suffered the same anguish is get yourself a Dubow. Best fit, best collar.

Tim

shanghai joe

bseal said:
Rick has a Goodwear A-1. John's RW collars are not at all disproportionately large.

You could consider staying away from A-2s with collar stands, not at all necessary, but that may suit your individual tastes.

Here is where you can see how they look, and fit:

:arrow: http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/

J.C. would be happy to answer all of your questions directly. I just chewed his ear off yesterday ( wonder what I ordered . . .hahahahaha).

Rumor has it that he will have a seal horsehide Werber up on his site before the month's end (nope not mine) that will look very sharp. ;)

so how did his ear (only one?) taste like? :eek:

me just prefer ladies' fingers ( toes are extras).........

tell me what you eat and I'll tell you what you are.........me, carnivore

SteveN

rick.canavar said:
The reason I was asking about alternatives to the Roughwear specifically is that my A-1 was designed using a Roughwear A-2 for the pattern. My assumption is that the use of a Roughwear pattern should produce a Roughwear fit, even if specifics, like 2 piece back, buttons, etc. have changed from A-2 to A-1.

Hmmm. That's interesting. Does anyone know if the other repo makers managed to pattern their A-1's from genuine examples? Seems odd to me to try and make an A-1 from an A-2 pattern.

- SteveN

A

Anonymous

hacker said:
rotenhahn said:
Actually- I take it all back- I did own a 1401p original with a very large collar- pretty clownlike- eh?

You referring to the jacket?.......

H ;) ckr

quite.

but button / fasten it -the collar that is.

SteveN said:
rick.canavar said:
The reason I was asking about alternatives to the Roughwear specifically is that my A-1 was designed using a Roughwear A-2 for the pattern. My assumption is that the use of a Roughwear pattern should produce a Roughwear fit, even if specifics, like 2 piece back, buttons, etc. have changed from A-2 to A-1.

Hmmm. That's interesting. Does anyone know if the other repo makers managed to pattern their A-1's from genuine examples? Seems odd to me to try and make an A-1 from an A-2 pattern.

- SteveN

ELC's A-1, the newer version at least, is patterned on an original. Otherwise I don't know if anyone has used an original.

airfrogusmc

There were no real standards for A-1s. Some had high pockets, some low. Some were from cape, some horse, some goat I think. One piece backs. two piece backs, two piece arms, three piece arms, russet, seal, even olive. Some were private purchase...

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
SteveN said:

- SteveN

I agree ... and I don't believe that an A-2 is simply an A-1 with a zipper.

One difference is in the waistband, not being gathered as it is on an A-2. This causes the jacket to sit lower, so the fit is more G-1 like.

better duck

Tim P said:
(...) get yourself a Dubow. Best fit, best collar. Tim
Have a GW goat Dubow on order with John. Impatiently awaiting it (probably another six - eight weeks .... and counting)

deeb7 said:
SteveN said:

- SteveN

I agree ... and I don't believe that an A-2 is simply an A-1 with a zipper.

One difference is in the waistband, not being gathered as it is on an A-2. This causes the jacket to sit lower, so the fit is more G-1 like.

One of the things I love about the GW A-1 is that it has that type of fit. But looking through all the pictures in the "Everything A-1" thread I don't really see it a good portion of the time. I think that using an original A-1 as a pattern would give you a very accurate reproduction of- that particular A-1. I'll post a photo of the jacket being worn when my wife gets back from Wyoming with the camera.

Chandler

airfrogusmc said:
Allot of A-1s had 1 piece backs.

Since it's off topic here, maybe you can post some examples over in the Anything/Everything A-1 thread?
Never seen a one-piece back on an A-1 myself (which is no solid proof, I know).

Chandler