• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thinking About Going Nylon... Finally

Weasel_Loader

If you don't mind repro nylon, Buzz makes the L-2B in XX-Large. Just sold mine on ebay as it didn't sell here. It was the only L-2B long enough in the body for me and fit perfect. My current interest has shifted somewhat to heavy nylon and A-2s. ;)

watchmanjimg

Clyde from Carolina said:
Great info. and sage advice, thanks gents. I will have to pay particular attention to the length issue I see. I once had a USMC nylon jacket from the 1960s (forget the model number) that was a great fit EXCEPT it was too short. Ended up trading it to a buddy for a vintage topcoat that I still have, btw.

Oh, and glad you like the Dubow, Bill. It's a great jacket and if I hadn't gotten too big to comfortably wear it, I never would have sold it! :lol:

Sage advice? That's what you were seeking, wasn't it? :lol: :lol: :lol:

watchmanjimg

Atticus said:
With respect to MA-1s, I would say that the early seventies Alphas are the most generously cut with respect to body length, and they are excellent jackets. Just like earlier editions, they were made with wool insulation, wool knits and solid (albeit aluminum) zippers. In fact, some folks here....and I am included in this group...are of the opinion that the early E-series MA-1s are as well-made and any nylon jacket ever issued by our military.

AF

Not sure how the measurements of my E-series jackets compare to the earlier versions, but I strongly agree that the E stands with the best MA-1s. The only difference that could possibly relate to quality is the zippers, and I've never had a problem with any of mine. They're great wearers!

Rutger

In my experience the BR L-2B is the only Buzz nylon that has a modern length of body.( from what I have : L-2, L-2B, B-15C, B-15D(mod), MA-1;the heavy ones in both large and XL).
That's without hesitation; the L-2B is the only jacket that I never ever have the feeling I need to pull the back down an inch.
The L-2 is a bit tighter and a bit shorter, the heavy jackets are sort of short in the back.

If you are going to consider a repro nylon jacket and are worried about body length : get a BR L-2B.
I'm 6' and 185 lbs, my L-2B is a size 40, my CWU-36 is a size 42.

watchmanjimg

Rutger said:
In my experience the BR L-2B is the only Buzz nylon that has a modern length of body.( from what I have : L-2, L-2B, B-15C, B-15D(mod), MA-1;the heavy ones in both large and XL).
That's without hesitation; the L-2B is the only jacket that I never ever have the feeling I need to pull the back down an inch.
The L-2 is a bit tighter and a bit shorter, the heavy jackets are sort of short in the back.

If you are going to consider a repro nylon jacket and are worried about body length : get a BR L-2B.
I'm 6' and 185 lbs, my L-2B is a size 40, my CWU-36 is a size 42.

I've owned Buzz L-2, L-2A, and L-2B jackets and they were very generous in length, although the intermediate Buzz offerings are no longer than originals. That said, I've found that the measurements of original L-2B jackets produced under certain contracts are surprisingly consistent. In particular I'd recommend the Skyline 7448F produced under DSA-1-4982. I have at least 3 of these in Large and they run noticeably longer than examples from many other contracts. It's my first choice for a wearable original L-2B, and in addition it retains the epaulets and waist tab of the earlier models. Finally, it can usually be purchased for a lot less than a Buzz repro.

This has been a fascinating and useful introductory education in the mysteries of the great nylon flight jacket.

I thank you kindly, gentlemen. Please continue to add any thoughts you may have.

One of the members was good enough to measure a late 60s MA-1 they had in XL, and the zipper measured only 22". As I am more accustomed to the 25" of my new Monarch GW(my old GW Dubow was 23.5" on the zipper, and really a touch too short for me, I think.) I can tell the length issue is going to be a killer with the MA-1s, at least in most originals. :roll:

Clark J said:
That was me!!!

Absolutely! Thanks, Clark.

You know guys, I have actually started looking at the Gibson & Barnes nylon. They have some neat examples of the Navy/USMC WEP jacket. I have a soft spot for those because my father had one, but it is the jacket I traded with a buddy because it was too darned short for me. That thing was beautifully well-made though, I remember that.

I notice they also have MA-1 repros. Maybe that would be an option, in a long size.

Must admit I am looking hard at the WEP. I loved my old one, just wished it was longer. Hmmm...

Anybody have any experience with these G&B nylon jackets? I know, I know...I need to surf through some old posts. But we seem to be having a good time in this thread. :D

Willy McCoy

It is true that nylon generally runs shorter than, let's say an A-2. At 6'2" and 185lbs. I really find the length perfect. The reason for that is I wear high waisted vintage denim all the time. I don't have any modern cut "low" waisted pants.

Atticus

Anybody have any experience with these G&B nylon jackets? I know, I know...I need to surf through some old posts. But we seem to be having a good time in this thread. :D
Not yet, but I'm thinking hard about buying one myself. I have an original WEP in size 46R and it is too short for me. I'm thinking of buying the G & B WEP becasue I can get one in 48 long.

AF

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
One of the members was good enough to measure a late 60s MA-1 they had in XL, and the zipper measured only 22". As I am more accustomed to the 25" of my new Monarch GW(my old GW Dubow was 23.5" on the zipper, and really a touch too short for me, I think.) I can tell the length issue is going to be a killer with the MA-1s, at least in most originals. :roll:

I don't think you can make a direct comparison like that. The A-2 is a square boxy jacket, with a higher neckline, the MA-1 has a more relaxed fit. At least try one ... I'm 2" shorter than you at 6', and length is never a problem for me with a Large size MA-1.

watchmanjimg

deeb7 said:

I don't think you can make a direct comparison like that. The A-2 is a square boxy jacket, with a higher neckline, the MA-1 has a more relaxed fit. At least try one ... I'm 2" shorter than you at 6', and length is never a problem for me with a Large size MA-1.

I'm also not sure I'd focus so much on the measurement down the front. In my experience body length is best determined by measuring from the base of the collar to the bottom of the waistband.

Maverickson

Atticus said:
With respect to MA-1s, I would say that the early seventies Alphas are the most generously cut with respect to body length, and they are excellent jackets. Just like earlier editions, they were made with wool insulation, wool knits and solid (albeit aluminum) zippers. In fact, some folks here....and I am included in this group...are of the opinion that the early E-series MA-1s are as well-made and any nylon jacket ever issued by our military.

AF

Hi A.F.,
Last week I went to an estate sale of a retired Army officer. As seen below, I got his MA-1.
DSCN1553.jpg
DSCN1554-1.jpg

If you notice he had his name tag attached on the diagonal.

Please notice this jacket's birth date as the body of that jacket is only 24" and the shortest MA-1 I've ever seen.

Cheers, Dave

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Maverickson said:
Please notice this jacket's birth date as the body of that jacket is only 24" and the shortest MA-1 I've ever seen.

I have a 1971 Alpha, and it's also 24", perhaps they grew a little longer later in the decade. My other MA-1s are all about this length, and it's fine for me.

Hey .... that could be a hint. :cool:

Atticus

Right now, I have nine original MA-1s (I think). I'm not sure if I have a 1971 Alpha but I do have both a '73 Alpha and a '72 Alpha. Those two Alphas seem to be my longest MA-1s....especially the '72. I know, without a doubt, that they are my largest MA-1s. They are always the ones that I have to wear when I'm going through a phat phase, as I am now. I also have a '65 Alpha that is fairly large and long, but I replaced the knits on this jacket with G&B knits which are wider than originals, so it may not be fair to use this jacket as a guage. For a while I just thought that Alphas ran large. Then I bought a D-series '64 Alpha (with the C&C zipper) and it turned out to be short. Not really skimpy, but short. By the way, I'm not a guy who can wear more than one size jacket. All of my nylon is XL.

On the other hand, my B-series Johnn Owenby is my smallest MA-1...followed closely by my C-series Skylines. My Satellites seem to be about average in both size and length.

Just my observations, for what little they are worth.

AF

watchmanjimg

Atticus said:
Right now, I have nine original MA-1s (I think). I'm not sure if I have a 1971 Alpha but I do have both a '73 Alpha and a '72 Alpha. Those two Alphas seem to be my longest MA-1s....especially the '72. I know, without a doubt, that they are my largest MA-1s. They are always the ones that I have to wear when I'm going through a phat phase, as I am now. I also have a '65 Alpha that is fairly large and long, but I replaced the knits on this jacket with G&B knits which are wider than originals, so it may not be fair to use this jacket as a guage. For a while I just thought that Alphas ran large. Then I bought a D-series '64 Alpha (with the C&C zipper) and it turned out to be short. Not really skimpy, but short. By the way, I'm not a guy who can wear more than one size jacket. All of my nylon is XL.

On the other hand, my B-series Johnn Owenby is my smallest MA-1...followed closely by my C-series Skylines. My Satellites seem to be about average in both size and length.

Just my observations, for what little they are worth.

AF

Interestingly, Geoff, my experience is 180 degrees opposite of yours. My E-series Alphas are just average in length, my '65s are SHORT, and my '64 D-series with C&C is a good length. I've owned several Satellites and an X-Large I used to have (later traded to Danny) was gigantic--baggy and long.

On the other hand, I have a ratty Ownbey and it's small and short although I suspect it was machine washed at some point.

Hmm, I think I will have to sit down with a nice scotch and a notepad and pencil and make a chart or something to keep all this straight.... :shock:

Might not be productive jacket-wise, but with reapplications of the scotch I probably won't care! :lol: