• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most valuable B-3 ever

PATTON1_zpsnhozii5o.jpg
PATTON2_zpslbprh1k9.jpg
PATTON3_zpsacc5a60f.jpg
PATTON4_zpsux4mqemt.jpg

a2jacketpatches

Yeah, was already thinking about it. Armored Corps actually. It's embroidered around the perimeter right into the jacket.

plumbline

Maybe someone knows ...

Did Patton remove the leather straps from the collar or just tuck them inside the loops to keep them out the way ?????

I have seen pics with the straps on show .. and with them not ( the more common being the latter) .... I'm not going to cut mine of or anything, just interested ???

Dr H

plumbline said:
Maybe someone knows ...

Did Patton remove the leather straps from the collar or just tuck them inside the loops to keep them out the way ?????

I have seen pics with the straps on show .. and with them not ( the more common being the latter) .... I'm not going to cut mine of or anything, just interested ???

I understand (although it might be an apocryphal tale), that Patton designed his own B-3 with epaulettes to accommodate the rank - http://www.americanmistique.com/blog/ho ... al-jacket/

Roughwear

The B-3 was made by Werber Sportswear under contract 42-12693-P, which dates to early 1942. It is a 42R. It was given to Patton by his good friend MG James Doolittle in late 1942.

The jacket was not a custom job, apart from the epaulets. The Talon zipper has lost several teeth, but the rest of the jacket is in very good condition.

Roughwear

plumbline said:
Maybe someone knows ...

The jacket still has its original collar straps and side belts. The extended epaulets are theatre additions to house his general officer stars.

johnwayne

Actually got around to watching Fury last night - same patch I believe as worn by a certain Brad Pitt on his tanker jacket? I could be wrong but if so its very similar, didn't freeze frame to study it!! Quite enjoyed the film I must say, quite realistic and gory in places but, I'm guessing that's how it was.
Cheers
Wayne

Steve27752

johnwayne said:
Actually got around to watching Fury last night - same patch I believe as worn by a certain Brad Pitt on his tanker jacket? I could be wrong but if so its very similar, didn't freeze frame to study it!! Quite enjoyed the film I must say, quite realistic and gory in places but, I'm guessing that's how it was.
Cheers
Wayne

Almost, Pitts is 2nd Armoured Division.