• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The making of a patch (4th FG)

Curahee

I know this should probably be in another section but I couldn't resist putting it on "The Front Page" as some of you know
I made a 23 FG patch a couple of months ago and decided to try another one here's the process step by step.

I used a copy of the original Disney drawing I downloaded from the "Cartoons at War" website and a picture from "Art of the Flightjacket"
As far as I can tell the originals were at first red and they had the great seal in the upper left (wich btw is a bitch to paint)anyway it took me 6 hours lots of coffee and here it is:

4thFG001.jpg
4thFG013.jpg

4thFG011.jpg
4thFG012.jpg

4thFG015.jpg

4thFG016.jpg
4thFG017.jpg

4thFG019.jpg
4thFG021.jpg

4thFG024.jpg
4thFG026.jpg

4thFG028.jpg
4thFG030.jpg

4001.jpg

I'm not quite sure about "The Great Seal" though, should I paint it blue or leave it as it is ? I think it could use
a little more colour....mmm :?:

bfrench

Administrator
Curahee said:
I know this should probably be in another section but I couldn't resist putting it on "The Front Page" as some of you know
I made a 23 FG patch a couple of months ago and decided to try another one here's the process step by step.

I used a copy of the original Disney drawing I downloaded from the "Cartoons at War" website and a picture from "Art of the Flightjacket"
As far as I can tell the originals were at first red and they had the great seal in the upper left (wich btw is a b*tch to paint)anyway it took me 6 hours lots of coffee and here it is:

4thFG015.jpg

4thFG016.jpg
4thFG017.jpg

4thFG019.jpg
4thFG021.jpg

I'm not quite sure about "The Great Seal" though, should I paint it blue or leave it as it is ? I think it could use
a little more colour....mmm :?:

Hi, Curahee,

Seems to be in the appropriate section but with a litle more explanation it would make a great "How To" topic.

Yes - the great seal would make the patch more vivid if painted.

Now a couple of questions from someone who knows absolutely nothing about transferring pictures onto a surface from a drawing.

1. I'm assuming the back of the picture has to be heavily covered with graphite.

2.Then you trace the picture onto the surface to give you the same outline as the picture.

3.You just copied the outline pic and printed it to ordinary paper?

4. Do you have the url for "Cartoons at War"

Thanks - great work,

Bill French

Curahee

Hi Bill,

1) Yes, because the leather is soft you have to be careful not to puncture the paper but still leave a transfer. I have tried
carbonpaper but doesn't work for me.

2) Yes, and then I use a very fine brush (I think you can also use a fineliner or something) to draw the picture on the patch

3) Yes, it can be that simple and of course you can also draw it directly on the patch but then it's very difficult to make
corrections to it. So first copy/print and or draw it on paper and then somehow transfer it to the leather surface.

4) This is great site with lots of info about a variety of (famous) patches http://toonsatwar.blogspot.com/ and other
WW-2 stuff

I hope that more people will give it a go :)

MikeyB-17

That's not a seal, that's an eagle :) Sorry, couldn't resist. Great job-and yeah, I agree the seal should be painted.

Chandler

If you don't mind the query, how'd you create and paint the circle frame, and how did you trim it out cleanly?

Chandler

dujardin

hello Curahee,

thanks for this splendid post.
it was just what i was waiting for.
the ''how to proceed - step by step'' to make a patch.
this will for sure give envy to more than a member to start a new hobby.
i will for sure try to follow you in that way but probably not at this time due to my move scheduled for mid july. but i will follow.
thanks again

friendship from Belgium

byeeeee marcel

Curahee

Chandler said:
If you don't mind the query, how'd you create and paint the circle frame, and how did you trim it out cleanly?

Chandler

I used a pair of compasses and I uses a pair of special upholstery scissors to cut it out. I am an upholsterer so it isn't that
difficult a job for me ;) Anyway here's the final result with one coat of varnish for protection (and an original one for comparisson)

bl.jpg
sq21.jpg