• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The final nail in the coffin for a bargain by ebay

Rutger

Customs/taxes are charged by the country that the product is imported to, not by the country from which the object is exported from.

The US Government has no income from customs/taxes from exported goods, so the US Government has no reason to oblige ebay to collect customs/taxes for them (unless the US Gov't is put under pressure by other governments to do so, which would seem unlikely).

When customs/taxes are calculated, the office that calculates them wil charge the buyer with the costs of calculating the customas/taxes.
If ebay also actually collects the customs/taxes it would appear that ebay has taken over that part from the goods importing offices that used to do that; hence ebay is going to make once more extra money on every product that is sold. For ebay it is pretty easy to determine the customs/taxes: they already have all the information (type of object, value, country of the winner, cost of shipping) digitally available in the auction, so it's just adding the software to calculate everything. Fully automated, so the cost for them is almost nothing.
This is contrary to the way customs offices have to work: they will have to check the contents of the package, look up the value, look up the cost of shipping and then calculate, which is a lot of handling before the outcome is known.

It's not clear to me how or even if ebay actually collects these customs/taxes; if they do they will have to transfer the money to the respective governments. Maybe they closed a deal with these governments?
Maybe it's a calculation that ebay provides with the auction and the info is used by the importing offices. If so, it's more likely that many importing countries have put pressure on ebay to think of ways to minimize importing fraud.

John Lever

Two other issues come to mind. Firstly it is not unknown for UK customs to calculate the charge by using dollars as the equivalent to GBP. So that it is not impossible for them to make the mistake of adding an additional charge on entry to the UK even though eBay has already added this amount.
Secondly, as the duty is shown only for the corresponding current bid how does a potential buyer know what the total cost will be if they use sniping software or bid in the final seconds of an auction, surely any bid amount should also include the tax due ?
I can understand problems faced by sellers when an item is rejected due to a customs levy,but a similar issue may be encountered at checkout so that a non payment problem arises.

Stony

Another question I have is are those fees and taxes based on the exchange rate at the time the item is sold or?

ButteMT61

Dr H said:
ButteMT61 said:
Hey, btw, I'm selling my French Deck jacket I just got. A tad too small for me, but a lovely jacket.

EBay...? ;)

Scott, did you see my post about jungle cloth on FL?

Hey Ian, yes I saw that. Taking a break from the joint.
I'm selling the jacket on eBay (I know). Haven't posted on the forums yet.

If you have sample of jungle cloth, I'd PayPal you some money to cover costs, etc.
That would be awesome. Every time I get close, I balk at ruining it. Thanks a lot for the offer!

Dr H

No problem Scott, don't worry about postage. It won't be much.
PM your postal address and I'll put two 'cuffs' in the mail.

sk123

Just saw my fees from ebay on a $500 item...$50 + another $20 on the paypal transaction. Whiskey tango foxtrot.

Smithy

sk123 said:
Just saw my fees from ebay on a $500 item...$50 + another $20 on the paypal transaction. Whiskey tango foxtrot.

14% of the value. I'd be thinking foxtrot tango as well!

a2jacketpatches

In my experience with a forum, I usually get bombarded with offers of 50% or less, and just this week even words like "cheap" And my only experience buying militaria on line in a forum was a WW1 grenade that arrived without the fuse and spoon ( hardest parts to find ). So I guess it's safe to say that at least Ebay has provided me 80% of value, maybe even 100% as it should be factored in anyway considering you don't have to leave your house to sell. And with buying, the safety of getting what you actually bought gives peace of mind.

And most private dealers I've dealt with back in the day screwed me as I was inexperienced, buying or selling. Even these days, I'm offered less than half when I seek out a dealer to sell and item.

So I can't completely agree with what this thread might suggest, that Ebay is a total suck fest. Thet've got their issues but not the biggest problem in this dog eat dog world of collecting.

Edit -
I did want to mention that VLJ is an exception, nothing but flawless transactions and a bunch of guys I trust entirely.

ButteMT61

Interesting a2jp - ice usually found forums to be better for not low balling. I put on my auctions to NOT LOWBALL. I won't reply and it seems to have helped.
Last month I sold a watch for a BIN of $1300. I had an attorney in Texas trying to convince me I was asking too much. He was persistent, but the watch sold for OVER the BIN price! It got into a bidding war and I got lucky. Since it went higher, I Christmas wrapped it really nicely and sent second day air for free. It was one of the good experiences. But I was stressed as I'm normally a buyer and they held the funds until the buyer left positive feedback, etc. I almost pulled it thinking if I get scammed (again) for the watch I will be hosed.
I just don't like all the fees and the "safety" factor makes selling less attractive.

a2jacketpatches

It said I was unable to send an invoice as the winning bidder would complete check out. I must have overlooked the Global Shipping Program section and left the box checked. As I stated earlier in this thread, it resets itself even if the sell similar or relist option is used. This is exactly what I did because the item was won last week by an unwelcome bidder with multiple user names. I canceled the transaction, blocked him once again, and used the relist option from the drop down menu. This should have provided the exact same details as the original listing but put the approved /checked GSP option instead. I will just have to be more careful and be sure to uncheck it. I'm not sure if this will be mandatory in the future, but it seems like the are really trying to encourage it. Lots of bad talk about it on the Ebay community forum.

a2jacketpatches

Right off the bat the GSP charged 23.95 for a Priority Flat Rate Envelope and 14.00 customs fees. The winning bidder contacted me straight away puzzled about the whole thing so I gave him my phone# through Ebay messages, everything else was gone, no email address, no physical address, no order details page. Not sure if anything IS provided once the buyer pays but taking no chances. We are going to cancel the transaction, he has paid via Paypal, the cost for the same shipping is 19.95 I did declare a lesser value but he says no charges for recently purchased similar items. I will have to be sure and uncheck that stupid box from now on.

a2jacketpatches

Perfect example of how to use Ebay for what you need. Made a sale outside of Ebay by dropping a guy my phone#, Paypal payment as friends and family, Kaching!!!!!!! Their system gets them that first piece of the pie, but they'll never see another nickel from what I sell this guy or the many others I have on my list. And I can ship using the USPS website and declare as I wish.

a2jacketpatches

John Lever said:
How long will it be until they ban phone numbers in listings and ebay messages ? e-mails already get filtered.
Wondering that myself, I almost kinda half remember in a way :D that it might be illegal to do. Not sure about that, but if it does happen I'll still have the email from sales. One way or another I'll find a chink in that armor. Also working on different angle completely outside of Ebay where a potential customer is handed a card and can use it as an online catalog. All depends on what you're doing but networking in multiple ways is the key to avoiding Ebay nonsense.

a2jacketpatches

John Lever said:
It would be simple to photograph a card with all contact details as part of the listing.
I do believe there's a new rule that you can't have text of any king in a photo. I'll check it out.