• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The evolution of Nylon...

Tim P

I read the threads here and I am astounded by the intimate knowledge of contracts and specs.
I am happy that I can spot real from repro and trace the lineage of the various types of jacket from B15b or L2a through to nomex but when it comes to the nuances I am a novice and as for manufacturers variations.....forget it.....
I pick up stuff like squared off windflaps on Ma1's such as the lion but I would love to see a timeline reference sticky compiled for each main jacket (or parka) type and notable anomalies posted here.

Anyone able to set the ball rolling?

watchmanjimg

I'd love to help but it would take some time to pull everything out and take pictures. Sounds like a great idea though.

Tim P

How about a thread that anyone can access and add what they know

for instance

Type L2, Manufactured in the immediate post ww2 era from an Olive shade of nylon, the liner being of a different grade to the shell blah

Manufacturer unique feature
Alfred Berry Sportswear squared off tab at the bottom of the zip
Spokane flight clothing inc sateen lining rather than nylon. Crown zip .
Excel industries Ball snap fasters instead of 'durable brand'

deand

Yes! A great idea. I figured someone was going to simply refer interested persons to one of those Japanese books that are about as overpriced as their repro nyon. :) I wish I could help compile such a reference.

dean

Tim P

I wish the repro nylon market was as diverse as the repro leather market, if only so we werent hostages to the intricacies of the japanese shipping set up or the (justifiable) profit margins of domestic importers such as ELC and HPA.

anyway, I reckon if those that are in the know each add a little about what we know to each of the sticky reference threads, all it would take is a patient read to establish any facts we may be interested in.

A

Anonymous

There would also be a great deal of mileage in a thread that has EVERY jacket repro and original and of every size with measurements as a kind of database. How many times do people ask the same question about jacket sizing for different as well as the same makers of jackets of different sizes ??

It would be some magnum opus ........ :cool:

Dave

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
deand said:
Yes! A great idea. I figured someone was going to simply refer interested persons to one of those Japanese books that are about as overpriced as their repro nyon.

Nah .... I try not to make the same mistake twice. ;)

deand

Imagine full page scans, translated, of course, of one of those books posted in a sticky. Then...imagine the letter from the law firm, beginning: Dear Sirs, It has come to our attention that you have posted without prior approval or authorization electronic representations of our copyrighted material for public display. You are hereby advised to cease... and so on and so forth. Of course only style is copyright protected, oh, and images, but the information is shareable, isn't it? Guess I'll just cough up the cash for one of those books. Someday. You know how it goes: Book...or jacket? Book or cap? Over and over again. Jacket and cap have won so far.

dean

Willy McCoy

I tried to request contracts via the Freedom of Information act from the Wright Field Medical Laboratories for a non-profit informational use, and was met with no results, even though the jackets (named specifically) are obsolete. The only suggestion would be to see if Danny would be open to information & input for the same project he has already started. Another suggestion is to get the DVD from John that covers pretty much every type of jacket that has been in use by the USAAF, USAF, Navy, Coast Guard & Army.

Weasel_Loader

I'd have to dig through my old hard drive, but I did do some computer generated labels of all the L-2B and most of the MA-1 contracts up to 1970. Also might have some graphics I planned to use. I have tons of ideas for a great informational website, but just didn't have the patience to learn how to work Dreamweaver web building program. Now that I have a MAC, I just might give it a try again sometime. Hmmmm. :|