• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The D-1 that will not die

fishmeok

I picked this up a few years ago- it was complete but the zipper was wrong, finish was completely worn off, etc. I first repainted the finish and added a NOS Talon and started wearing it around. Almost immediately the shoulder ripped. So I patched that. Then I noticed the windflap was rotten and decided to stop messing around and just keep it as a pattern to use someday.

My wife cam down ill last summer (cancer) and taking care of my family has occupied all my time. I have not worked on a jacket since last Spring. She is through her treatment now and slowly starting to feel better. I decided to dig through and clean up my old jacket piles. Found the D-1 again, and thought it would be relaxing to start up my machine and give it another go. I removed the old repair and added goatskin reinforcement panels to the shoulder and under the windflap. After dying to the correct color they looked pretty good, so I started wearing it again.

Then the inside left arm panel blew out. I was going to give it up again, but decided to keep going out of sheer bloody-mindedness. I added a huge reinforcement panel to the bottom of the arm and started wearing it again. So far it has held up. I wanted this to look like a field repair so I did not dye to match all the panels.

We'll see what happens next.

Cheers
Mark

ausreenactor

G'day Mark!

Great to see a post. Hope things are on the 'up' at home.

The repairs would be carried out in the field for sure. Just need to grease it up a bit!

Take care...

Kennyz

Hi Mark. Glad to hear your wife is feeling better.

Best wishes to you and your family. :)

Ken

deand

Whatever may been challenging you and the family, I share the hope you are doing well!

dean

Roughwear

It's really great news about your wife Mark. I like your theatre style repairs to the G-1. Clearly there is still quite a bit of life left in the old lady!

johnwayne

Hey Mark
That's a nice D1 for sure and a great job you've done bringing back to life - well done that man!!
Particularly pleasing no doubt to be able to commit yourself to a passion with the distraction you've had but really pleased for you and yours - wish you all well.
Regards
Wayne

TankBuster

Great to see you post again Mark. Glad to hear things are going better on the Home Front!! Best wishes buddy!

dujardin

nice jacket

thanks for sharing this good news

wish you all the best

keep strong and go aheadddddd

sweetkiss to her from Belgium