• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Comprehensive Cap Thread

dmar836

A little mod to a cap:

bce049f0.jpg

Monsoon

Your caps are old school cool. :cool:

I've been looking for something like that to wear under my headset when I fly.

dmar836

BTW, thanks to Franck for sharing his collection and allowing me to use his original cap's design.
Dave

dmar836

84fd02e0.jpg

3ac00cad.jpg

f3b7be97.jpg

The bills of the originals are equally stiff even though the smaller size has a washed out label. The larger is a 7 1/2.
Mine is in the middle and came from some very tattered M43 coveralls.
The smaller original has started to fade slightly but around the thread, the color is still bold. Just noticed this.

Next is me wearing the smaller original which is one size too big for me. It fits comfortably but would likely not survive any wind.
0aea3e2e.jpg

This next shot is of my repro which fits much better.
82b01f74.jpg

I had one I really liked that was the first cap I made. I had it tucked under the seat strap of a new R6 and when I got off the highway it was gone. Both are in the past now but I think about that cap more than the R6!

Dave

dmar836

Newest Cap and Another Toy

IMG_0925_zps61cf6ffa.jpg

Gents, this is a 1949 Singer 201K. You'll read about them being the best Singer ever made. I gotta tell you when I got this thing home I wasn't as impressed as I had hoped. After cleaning, lubing, and most importantly adjusting, this thing is the smoothest most effortless machine I have ever used. One finger spun on the side of the balance wheel(like spinning a record) will easily sew. Stitches are now as even as anything I've used. It's just a pleasure to use as the smoothness is addicting and it handles domestic duties far better than the two other more modern domestics I have. The stitching on the bill was done on the walking foot industrial and is actually the weak point visually. I think it will be

IMG_0927_zps23fbb574.jpg

This is my latest squadron cap. I accidentally installed the lining on all six panels so rather than cutting it out I decided to leave the grommets out as well and make it "winterized"! Glad this time I saved the grommets for last. The sweatband is pig.

IMG_0926_zpsd7183cb5.jpg

It handled the sweat band over seam bumps easily. Most domestics just won't hold it on such variations without a lot of babying. It isn't an industrial and I wouldn't use it for leather but if you want a machine watch out for a Singer 201. You will be so much further along than with a modern disposable machine IMO.

What do you all think for numbers on this cap? Any FIS or otherwise? Was gonna do the 36th FB Sqdn but they had all red bills.

Dave

deand

Great caps as always! Looking forward to future projects! I'm seriously considering a re-do of my 25th FIS patch, and an 8 panel red cap would suit it perfectly. :D

dean

dmar836

Dean is stuck on that 8-panel! LOL. Actually, I just haven't seen that many of them in period pics. The 6s were so common from the 40s on.
This 6-panel pattern needs a tweaking on the crown. The wrinkled seen in the front are due to our heads(read: my head) not being perfectly bowl-shaped. The back panels are very form fitting. I used the old "C-cap" reference and the wife looked at me bug-eyed. That 100yo term fits. I've seen period pics of caps fitting like this but I have also seen many with the two front panels slimmer and longer while the read panels are shorter a stubbier. Geez, that's redoing the whole thing! Imagine the hassle of the 8-panel!
Okay, enough hyphenated words!
Dave

a2jacketpatches

YoungMedic said:
That old Singer is too cool!

I've got a few of them, oldies but goodies. Most of mine were found at the dump and just needed a little cleaning. I've been looking for more of them as I'd like to have one set up for every color, but everyone thinks they've got a 400- machine, I think because of the vintage look they have. I usually explain to sellers that back in the day, EVERY woman had one of these if not two or three, just check out some estate sales. They are still very common and not hard to find. I end up paying 20 to 40 bucks for a portable model after the sellers sit on them a couple of months. Hoping to find a nice treadle like the one in this thread to have at home, they look very cool and I could get some work done while watching the tube.

deand

dmar836 said:
Dean is stuck on that 8-panel! LOL. Actually, I just haven't seen that many of them in period pics.

I have a good selection of photos for you. (I have a few more if I can find them.)

159181.jpg

236KQCAC2TW78CA91C1XSCA7FLZOJCA6RRB.jpg

laberge.jpg

RHIARCACRES9LCAD5HW2PCACY7Z3HCAP61Z.jpg

hat.jpg

273879781_926430126_0.jpg

bobmosleyKoreapic.jpg

carroll.jpg

dean

dmar836

'Cause the thread started with repro caps. The originals are only for reference.
Dean, great shots! The Life magazine cover shows how the panels are not all the same size and shape. Interesting.
Dave

deand

dmar836 said:
'Cause the thread started with repro caps. The originals are only for reference.
Dean, great shots! The Life magazine cover shows how the panels are not all the same size and shape. Interesting.
Dave

Thanks! Yeah, they look that way, but I think you'll see after the package arrives that they look similar up-close, I think the front panels are being compressed by the 25th FIS patch on the front two. The body of the cap does have traces of what I'd call 'balooning' meaning the cap does not sit close to the oval shape of most heads, but because it has 8 panels, it is more round, probably why most caps shifted to 6 panels. I think it has eight because it is a descendant of the 8 panel caps of the turn of the century, the turn from the 19th to the 20th, that is.
panizza-mod-8-cap-800x442.jpg

3900brmain600.jpg

Then again, I've never disassembled the 8 panel I had and measured and compared the panels, and I wouldn't be surprised to find a slight variation, which would support my theory about the origins of the design. You should have the answer, soon. Here's another. I love the way they decorated them:
KGrHqZnkE63Ug-DYBO91HIvBF60_3.jpg

8 panels are making a comeback!:
http://www.strictlyfitteds.com/blog/2010/06/new-era-8-panel-bb-caps/

http://www.highsnobiety.com/2010/12/12/phenomenon-x-new-era-textile-8-panel-cap/

dean