• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Catcher Was A Spy WW2 film w/Paul Rudd - Ebbets Field Flannels Jacket

CBI

Not a flight jacket but..........

New Paul Rudd WW2 movie, "The Catcher Was A Spy" about OSS agent and Pro-Baseball player Moe Berg. I ordered one of these jackets:

U.S. Tour Of Japan 1934 Authentic Jacket

(not arrived yet) but own another similar EFF authentic jacket (Chicago American Giants) and lots of other EFF items...........all GREAT stuff. If the cost looks like a lot for a "varsity" jacket these EFF jackets are on a different level...........excellent quality.

Check out this video:

1934 Baseball Tour of Japan - Jimmie Foxx Home Movies

you will need to scroll through it a bit but there is a snippet of Moe Berg wearing his 1934 All Star jacket and the same jacket today at the Baseball Hall of Fame. Ebbets nailed the repro (minus not quite correct buttons) and in my view the fit. My other EFF authentic jackets tend to have large-ish arm holes and I was not sure how accurate that cut was/is (and to a certain degree don't care) but it was interesting to see Moe Berg's jacket worn by him and how large the arm holes were and loose fit. The photo with Paul Rudd wearing looks like a similar cut

The jacket is on-sale right now at EFF. They are made to order.

cool to see video of a vintage jacket in the day, see it as it is today and then a fine quality repro all in one stream............

B-Man2

Cool looking jacket and the story of Moe Berg is interesting as well. Working for the OSS while on a professional baseball tour in Japan in the late 1930’s. Looking forward to seeing the movie but I think they should have cast someone a little more convincing for the part of Moe Berg. I just don’t see Paul Rudd aka “Ant Man” in that part.

Persimmon

New Paul Rudd WW2 movie, "The Catcher Was A Spy" about OSS agent and Pro-Baseball player Moe Berg. I ordered one of these jackets:

(not arrived yet) but own another similar EFF authentic jacket (Chicago American Giants) and lots of other EFF items...........all GREAT stuff. If the cost looks like a lot for a "varsity" jacket these EFF jackets are on a different level...........excellent quality.

Check out this video:

you will need to scroll through it a bit but there is a snippet of Moe Berg wearing his 1934 All Star jacket and the same jacket today at the Baseball Hall of Fame. Ebbets nailed the repro (minus not quite correct buttons) and in my view the fit. My other EFF authentic jackets tend to have large-ish arm holes and I was not sure how accurate that cut was/is (and to a certain degree don't care) but it was interesting to see Moe Berg's jacket worn by him and how large the arm holes were and loose fit. The photo with Paul Rudd wearing looks like a similar cut

cool to see video of a vintage jacket in the day, see it as it is today and then a fine quality repro all in one stream............

If you order it ... it will come

CBI

mine will arrive in probably 2-3 weeks. that has always been the case for me when ordering custom from them in the past.

I have not seen the film yet, not released locally yet. So far, mixed reviews but its a WW2 movie so I am rooting for it!!!!!!

One more thing, Ebbets (granted, with marketing in mind) has done LOADS of work to promote baseball history from the early years and beyond the noted superstars. Unknown teams, Barnstorming teams, the Negro Leagues, numerous minor league teams all of which had some cool vintage uniforms, caps, etc. Reading about the early years of sports in America has been extremely fun and entertaining…………..and highlighted some awesome clothing!

Last edited:

Cocker

Speaking about EFF... I've been browsing their caps for a couple weeks now. You have any experience with them?

CBI

EFF caps - the best!!!!! you can't go wrong. I have had great luck with jackets, jerseys, caps.

Their T-shirts................not so much.............

B-Man2

Just watched the movie. It was a little slow in places but an interesting perspective on a highly intelligent and complicated man who lived a secretive life both during and after the war. Most of the movie deals with one specific mission that Berg was assigned by Bill Donovan during his time in the OSS.

CBI

just noticed EFF, online 20% of sale - all products,

jerseys 30% off - woo hoo

Tommy

I have about 6 Ebbets Caps, they are probably the best recreations out there. Various patterns, various teams from Minor Leagues, through college to Military.

There are some other manufacturer's doing similar things, but maybe not on the same scale?

Brent

7th-Army-Air-Force-1944-Road-Jersey-front-v2_grande.jpg

Persimmon

Check out this video:

John
As it’s made to order - when do you expect to receive it. Fit pictures please when it arrives

CBI

I have toyed with buying that 7th AAF jersey a number of times. I have a few other EFF jerseys that don't get much wear so I can't really justly another one! In re my jacket, probably 3 weeks on the delivery. I posted a pic of my other EFF jacket somewhere..................

EFF has some other WW2 era baseball stuff from time to time. A Marine jersey, some hats of military teams (sometimes) and some T-Shirts (7th AAF, Pearl Harbor Sub Base).

ausreenactor

Just watched 'Catcher Was a Spy'. 9/10. Loved it... Lots of talent in that mix. And the WWII kit looked spot on...Fact that it was a true story always makes me overly critical too. Thanks for the heads up.... Jackets and suits were on point...

CBI

Tes, good movie, watched on Amazon. Excellent WW2 scenes and all period stuff pretty well-done.

ausreenactor

It is 'online' if you want it.. cough.. Torrent....cough..

It would not get released here in Australia.. I paid to see Sicario on the weekend so I support the movie industry.. If they released it to our cinemas I would go. I have found some great movies such as 'Small Town Crime', 'Wind River', 'Brawl in Cell Block 99' and others that were never released here through the net...