• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Beautiful J.A.Dubow That Sold on ebay

WW2 Buff

Hello, did anyone get to view or possibly win the beautiful J.A.Dubow that sold on ebay a few weeks ago? What is your opinions? Did a member hear win it? (I didn't bid on it). I loved it, however, I do not know if the squadron patch is an original period piece. It looks good to me, but what is your opinions? There are these same repro patches for sale on ebay. I compared the 2 patches and they are somewhat different in appearance, however, the repro was hand painted. So, the hand painter could paint each one a little different. Anyway, it was a beautiful JA Dubow jacket.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204393682177

dubow 1.jpg
dubow 14.jpg
dubow 10.jpg
dubow 7.jpg
dubow 3.jpg
dubow 4.jpg

Flightengineer

I paint patches and it seems to me that the patch is modern, just artificially aged. Everything is drawn too smoothly for those years. The jacket is definitely older than this patch and received most of the wear without it or with another one that was in its place before.I could be wrong, but something is wrong here for my taste, it’s hard to explain.

WW2 Buff

I agree with the Flightengineer, although I have no proof because I do not know if the super cool patch is a nice repro or a ww2 period original. The patch just looks to good to be an 80 year old painted patch. Of course everyone agrees that the jacket is certainly correct, original, and is in super nice horse hide condition. And the name tag is probably original, and probably had been ww2 period applied. Probably, all those super nice things together are just too good to be true.

The patch on the above Dubow jacket is a better quality patch than the repros sold on ebay.

Here's a pic of one of the ebay repro WWII USAAF SKULL & BOMBS 587 TH BOMB 394 ND BG 9 TH AAF FLIGHT JACKET PATCH:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1259717097...YTXGhJJihe0DZ1i1lgQeANXDp3|tkp:Bk9SR77K1ofZYg

skull.jpg

ZuZu

I paint patches and it seems to me that the patch is modern, just artificially aged. Everything is drawn too smoothly for those years. The jacket is definitely older than this patch and received most of the wear without it or with another one that was in its place before.I could be wrong, but something is wrong here for my taste, it’s hard to explain.
As I've said before- I used to sort of forge patches and chits back in the 80s. I've seen my patches sold on eBay as originals. I trust no patches really- unless you can blacklight etc. and even then- eh!

90% sure the patch has been artificially aged- the cracking in a streak in the white skull makes no sense as far as actual wear- a rookie mistake.