• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tex Hill's name tag

jbmilart

Hey Guys... Just finished a Tex Hill name tag for a client of mine. He sent me some photos of Tex's jacket that's on display in a museum. The photos were really hard to see the all Chinese symbols clear enough to make them out. Made some zoomed images and sent them to a friend of mine that works for a Chinese Language Research Center, in China. He sent me back the translation and matched the symbols on Tex's name tag. He said that those Chinese symbols were used during the early 1940's and were very common... but have disappeared almost completely since the Chinese government changed into a communist state. He has kept records of this missing language, including their English translations, for China's history. He is also very knowledgeable of the AVG and what they did for the Chinese people. The Translation is: "David Lee Hill".
You'll probably noticed that the name tag is rather large compared to Tex's original name tag... and you would be right! It seems that my client wanted to cover a large spot on his M422-A Navy flight jacket, where the original name tag was attached... so I did. He wanted to keep the original style of Tex's lettering on his new name tag, as much as possible... all I did was to make sure it was centered.
I'm posting some photos of Tex's original jacket and a close up of the name tag... then a photo of the finished name tag I did with the correct Chinese symbols on the bottom of Tex's name.

Jim

TexHillsnametag4_zpsdfc19c4d.jpg

TexHillsnametag5_zpsddb59606.jpg

TexHillsnametag2_zpscb8a5481.jpg

004-2.jpg

jbmilart

Sean... (a2jacketpatches)... has already made the layered leather 23rd Fighter patch for the client so he can finish his Tex Hill's jacket project. As a matter of fact... Sean and I have been thinking of combining our services under one roof... (kind a... sort of). We've been thinking of adding Sean's unique artistic talents of making layered leather patches and his vast knowledge of the subject, onto my (our) working website. This would give Sean, better access to the Internet without having to start up his own website... which takes forever to get rated on Google!
My website has already been established for quite awhile now... and it seemed like a good match. Sean would still have his own clients, with his own contact page, photos and blog pages... as I already have my own pages with photos and contact site established. We're hoping that this could turn into a one stop shop website... with lots of choices to choose from... Although there are still a few things still to work out... but we're working on them... Hopefully this project will start very soon!

Jim

a2jacketpatches

That's the plan. Jim has that artistic hand and his patches have a definite human element to them, 100% accurate for that alone. All are done with paint brush as it was done back in the day. We plan to provide a one stop shop as Jim said, name tags in different languages, nose art, and patch making methods from all theaters of operation.

BTW, anyone here from India, or know the language? I know this probably says H. B. Kirlin, but is it phonetic or in other words written as it sounds like Chinese? We'll figure it out one way or another but I thought somebody here may have some insight.
KGrHqFp8FBmlViBQgBQkGO7qtz60_57.jpg

colekwok

a2jacketpatches said:
That's the plan. Jim has that artistic hand and his patches have a definite human element to them, 100% accurate for that alone. All are done with paint brush as it was done back in the day. We plan to provide a one stop shop as Jim said, name tags in different languages, nose art, and patch making methods from all theaters of operation.

BTW, anyone here from India, or know the language? I know this probably says H. B. Kirlin, but is it phonetic or in other words written as it sounds like Chinese? We'll figure it out one way or another but I thought somebody here may have some insight.
KGrHqFp8FBmlViBQgBQkGO7qtz60_57.jpg

That's Indian underneath. Not sure if it is the phonic of the Chinese name on top though.

a2jacketpatches

Yeah, the Chinese is an old style not used anymore and is definately phonetic because there is no Chinese characters for our alphabet. Not sure how India does it but will go out for Indian food some night to find out.

A

Anonymous

The Chinese used is the Traditional Chinese spoken and written today in Taiwan (Maybe some in HK too)
the rest of China speaks the Modern Chinese.

etphonehome

Those Chinese character, i.e. on the upper is 可倫企李倫, where the 企李倫 with the similar pronunciation as Kirlin. Where the 可倫 pronounce like Colum.

FYI People in Hong Kong speak Cantonese and use Traditional Chinese character
Mainland China speak Putonghau and use Simplified Chinese character
Taiwan speak Mandarin (Same as Putonghau) and use Traditional Chinese character

DT

A

Anonymous

Are you Chinese?

The symbols on the tag are Putonghau or Cantonese?

etphonehome

Yes, I am a Chinese. Those words are traditional Chinese character for writing, whereas Cantonese and putonghua are for speaking.

DT