• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Tell Us What You Want, What You Really, Really Want"

saunders

No, not a prom date with Posh or Baby Spice. :p

Okay, it's obvious the most vocal members here have a love affair with authenticity and quality, which translates into high-end repro makers selling A-2s for about $1, 150 and up, but Bill Kelso was in the process of disrupting that equation (on paper and in images, for the most part) until a few days ago. Now, it would seem, we're back to dropping the big bucks and, if it's a GW jacket, waiting longer to receive the jacket than it takes to produce offspring. I think it's safe to say that all of the major makers pay some attention to what forum members think, up to a point, and GW, it may be said, was created for the membership here. It is in that same vein that I think we should speak up now and say just what it is we want and maybe BK, ELC, BR, et al or some enterprising forum member will respond to these calls and give us exactly what we want.

I say we treat this as we did birthdays, Christmas, etc. when we were kids: Make a wish list that is extravagant but that is also founded on some sense of reason and see what we end up with (it would be futile to ask for custom options and sizes in a precise A-2 copy and have it sell for $150, so that's what I mean by remaining within reason). Okay, fellas, I'll go first:

I'd like many A-2 style choices based on precise copies of the primary (no less than 6-8) wartime A-2 contracts and contractors and RW must be one of the contractors. The authenticity and quality must be no less than 95% spot on, meaning they must have the correct features and details that allow us to see each A-2 as being what it is supposed to represent (RW 27752, Perry 16175, Bronco 29191, etc.), which includes authentic zippers, hardware, etc. The leather must feel and look like what we see on vintage jackets as best as we can determine they would have looked like when new, which means that not every A-2 looks like it's made from some old stallion. The leather need not be the finest Italy has to offer but it must be as good as the industrial hides the government used during the war, and it can be horsehide, cow/steer or goat, as correct for any given contract/contractor, and it must age correctly. In fact, I'll say that I really don't care what leather type is employed, as long as it looks exactly like what I see on the vintage A-2s. Availability and delivery must be when I want it and not at some projected date in the future (reasonable supply issues understood), though if it's being made custom for me, a reasonable waiting period is acceptable. I don't care who makes the product or in what land it is made as long as the workers are treated fairly and humanely who make the products, and as long as the USA is not embargoing trade against this nation. The fit should be trim and not at all sloppy, thus they must follow the original A-2 of each respective contractor and contract being copied, but slight modification for differing body types, especially armholes, is acceptable; after all, we are buying these vs. being issued one by Uncle Sam. The quality of assembly must exceed what the government was sold during the war, though a few small wiggly stitches would be okay, and the selling price must be less than $800; ideally, it should less than $700.

At the end of the day, these must be within 10% or so of ELC & GW quality and detailing and sell for wayyyyy less. Can BK make this happen? Am I dreaming???

Saunders

Persimmon

Tell Us What You Want, What You Really, Really Want"

I would be interested in knowing your first name...or is that Saunders ?

CBI

what you are describing is what Good Wear offers minus the wait time and cost. I think in this day and age, the cost issue can't really be addressed - materials are high. John may be addressing the long wait issue in the not too distant future however I would rather him tell us the details. He has someone helping with cutting patterns and an administrative assistant so one does not need much imagination to think through the next step(s).

GW does do what I really want, could not ask for more. Meets all my wishes!

Not meaning to make this an overtly pro GW thing but John's got it down.

Damn - I have over 1,600 posts and I think I am something like 11th in the ranking of number of posts on this forum - I need to get a life - fast! :roll:

ButteMT61

I don't see a big hole here like you do I guess.
We have many top makers, all over the globe.
We have many price ranges.
We have many levels of "authenticity".
We have most of the contracts available.
We have custom and a off the rack.
We have cheap and expensive.

I like the Good Wear and Aero offerings. Only complaint would be JC has such success that he has a long waiting list. Price of success.
Aero to me is a great buy a notch down in price and I guess accuracy. Wait times decent.
The likes of G&B, ELC, BK all have fans.
Lower end jackets from USWings, The Cockpit, Excelled have their place too.
And finally. The used market. Maybe the best of all worlds. At the rate we flip jackets, there's always a nice one waiting to be had.

So, give JC another qualified maker, drop the prices $100, lessen the wait. And he's set.
Aero needs to work on some custom sizing issues of late. Odd that quite a few have shown up (not mine) with incorrect fits.

As a wish goes, I'd like all makers to have a decent selection of in-house jackets to be mailed (if needed/desired) to check on fit. It still seems to be a flip of the coin on what you get. Maybe people just lie about their measurements??? In some ways, off the rack seems an easier fit, and I am not a standard body size.
They could use inexpensive heavy canvas to mimic the weight so we could test sizes before the builds.

In summary, I think we need a tuneup, not a new maker.

dujardin

me i simply like a hand made tailored jacket, made just for me, with my personnal requirements
that's what i get with John, and also with Mark.
and also, A2 or A1 are for me an american product, so i wish that american hands realise my jacket.
regarding the price, that's just a point of view..... some pay much (or less) simply for a car, a pair of Levi's, a rifle, 100000examples available

ButteMT61 have done a good synthesis

or simply...choice is yours

John Lever

Well I have done this already with some success.
I sourced a 1930's German M/C jacket and had Aero copy it for me but with some minor mods. They asked me to give it a name and it is now sold as the Radjacke. Similarly I bought my own sheepskins and had Aero make me an Anj-4 and a RAF Irvin. The Few also made me a custom M445 using sheepskin with longer wool and russet goatskin.
Gary has also responded to requests of others here. Eastman made George a custom Redskin Anj-4.
I suspect there are many others who have had special request jackets made by the major producers of repro's.

The prize has to go to JC,he knew what he wanted so he made it himself !!
Jonnyboy and Fishmeok have done the same thing.

dujardin

another that i really want

an authentic wearable A1, something close to the impossible :lol:

so i just request Mark (fishmeok) to make one for me, i send him a mail this morning ;)
i know the price...... approx 1/4 of my month pay
cheap ???? expensive ???? don't know, simply worth the value for me ;)
but what i'm sure, this jacket will reach all my requirements, from a to z, made by someone i know