• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tanker Jackets - How Would You Rank The CURRENT Editions ?

High Iron

Re: Tanker Jackets - How Would You Rank The CURRENT Editions

Just got off the train, had enough time to take a few snaps of the jacket before going to work. Sorry, I didn't have time to get any pics of me wearing it.

My first impression is this is a quality item. I don't know how this would compare to an original but I'll try to give a review of the various components. The color of the photos is really close to the actual color. Kind of pea green/khaki shell, olive/brown knits and olive blanket liner. The outer shell seems pretty sturdy, I thought it would be somewhat thin but am surprised, in a good way, that it is maybe a little heavier than something you would find on a pair of the thicker docker pants. The blanket liner reminds me of, well, an old wool army blanket that I had as a kid. The knits are two-weave and seem to be 100% wool. They are not quite as thick as the ones on my A-2s but are not by any means cheap. The pocket bags are the same material as the shell. Stitching and construction are top notch. The fit is kind of funky, although I am used to A-2s so it may take some time to get used to. I ordered a size 46. This jacket is roomy enough to layer under but not too big. The torso is comparable to the average length A-2 of the same size but the sleeves are maybe a touch long and have a very nice taper. The one thing I can see that will drive me crazy is the bi-swing back. The pleats tend to stay "puffed out" but that is something I've seen in photos of most tanker jackets. I'll try to get some measurements and take some photos of me in it along with other jackets soon. If anyone has any other questions let me know.

Now......Photos
IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

veli1

Hello Bjorn,

nice photos and from what I'm seeing WWII Imp has done a marvelous job with this tanker.
I'm not an expert of course but i like this jacket.It would be nice if you could send to us a picture of you in
the jacket.

Cheers,

V.

High Iron

Hi Veli,

I'll try to get some photos of me in it ASAP. Been working a lot and haven't been home much.

I would like to add that I am 100% satisfied with the jacket. The jacket is well worth the price and customer service was top notch. I would like to thank Juan, Nicholas and Jonathan for everything. I look forward to many more purchases with WWII Impressions and would highly recommend them to all.

Bjorn

ww2imp

High Iron said:
Hi Veli,

I'll try to get some photos of me in it ASAP. Been working a lot and haven't been home much.

I would like to add that I am 100% satisfied with the jacket. The jacket is well worth the price and customer service was top notch. I would like to thank Juan, Nicholas and Jonathan for everything. I look forward to many more purchases with WWII Impressions and would highly recommend them to all.

Bjorn

Well, we are very, very glad to hear that you are happy. We work to earn positive comments such as these. Feel free to ask for me, Sylvia, or Jonathan on your next inquiry. We all would be happy to serve you.

bseal

Was never particularly interested in a Tanker jacket until these images. Hmmm, I wonder if they carry a size 44" or do I need to move up if they are cut to WWII proportions. . .

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.

bseal said:
... I wonder if they carry a size 44" or do I need to move up if they are cut to WWII proportions. . .

I don't think they're trim fitting like a flight jacket, so you oughta be fine.

veli1

bseal said:
Was never particularly interested in a Tanker jacket until these images. Hmmm, I wonder if they carry a size 44" or do I need to move up if they are cut to WWII proportions. . .

All of today's producers say that their tanker is the best on the market, produced upon WW2 specification. I don't think so..
Here are some of today's tanker's and WW2 original. WW imp is OK for that kind of money but Buzz Rickson's is I think numero uno on the market.

original
tanker1.jpg

Buzz Rickson
img36607472.jpg

At the front
us_uni_tankeri_main.jpg

WW Imp
IMG_0457.jpg

Is it so hard for these companies to buy an original and just copy - paste it in order to sell the stuff???
If I had the money to start the company i would have done it.

9thinfdiv

When Eastman had there name on the Tanker jackets a while back, I thought, and still think, they were the best on the market. I know Mash Co. in Japan made them but I wish Eastman still used Mash. I have two of them and they're great jackets.

CBI

Sorry this has taken so long. Photos of my new At The Front Tanker. This is a size "large". I like the jacket, all of the details seem to be there however I am mainly a leather guy and don't know all of the ins and outs in re these jackets. I looked at a million WWII pics of guys in Tankers and the fit is all over the map. I felt that this jacket was a bit too large when it arrived but I have since washed it in hot water twice and dried in the dryer twice to get rid of that brand new jacket look and to shrink it a little which it did. (the photos are post washings/dryings). The construction is excellent, the wool lining very impressive. I did a bit of searching on other forums about repro Tankers including the re-enactors forums. The overall report is that no one can agree! I suppose BR gets the most votes but I did not want to spend that kind of $ on this. Its nice to be able to enjoy a new jacket that was pennies compared to an A-2! My gut tells me that is this might be the mid-point choice in terms of price/quality/accuracy although many of the re-enactors like these as the top choice. Lots of discussion about repro companies not getting the color right but there was no one set color based on the originals I have seen and of course there is wear, fading, etc.

My only cautionary word is that like many cloth WWII jackets, I find this a little "puffy" compared to leather. Especially in the belly where there is the extra bulk of the hidden pockets. Although I would not call myself skinny, I am not carrying too many unwanted pounds. I think that if any prospective buyers "with tummies" are considering a Tanker, assume that you might be returning it as the fit is not the most flattering unless you are on the slim side. This is IMO.

Actually, I might get another Tanker someday and patch it. I have seen some great photos of 9th AF flight crews/pilots wearing them as flight gear - looks great. If I buy another, I might try WWII Impressions just to see the difference although its a little more than I want to pay. Its not anything against ATF, just a chance to try another maker. Actually, if I had thought I might be patching one, I would have bought the first version with the external pockets from ATF giving me more room for a breast patch. I hope this helps. BTW, extra kudos to me for modeling this for you in 100 degree plus weather!

IMG_5836.jpg

IMG_5838.jpg

IMG_5841.jpg

IMG_5843.jpg

Weasel_Loader

The fit looks great and almost like a modern style jacket. I'm saving up for another A-2 and a tanker will be after that.

EmergencyIan

I have owned the WWII Impressions Tanker and the Buzz Rickson Tanker (still own this one). I much prefer the Buzz Rickson version. I've heard really good things about ATF's Tanker jacket, but I haven't any first hand experience with it.

- Ian

High Iron

Finally, finally, finally got some time to take a couple quick pics. Sorry it took so long Veli.

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

ww2imp

Looks really good on you! Thanks for sharing.

CBI

the ww2imp looks nice. From the pics it still looks like a toss up between ww2imp and ATF. Of course, I have messed up the comparison pics I took as I had washed my jacket in hot water twice and tumbled dried it HOT. I wanted a "worn" look. ;)

High Iron

Thanks fellas. John you're right, I think it is a toss up between the two. I thought about throwing mine in the wash, to see if it would fade and tighten up the fit, but don't want to lose any length so it will just have to wear naturally. The weather here is starting to turn so I think it will get plenty of use.

CBI

the fit looks good on you so don't wash/dry as it will shrink!

ausreenactor

I have a Real McCoy with a NOS zipper with a few snags and nips that has 'aged' superbly.
I think I could easily pull the label and move it as a VGC original! But that is not how I
operate..I have an unworn ATF here and there current stuff is very hard to beat for the
price. Also have a BR Tanker here. They are great too. Must admit, have never had a
WWII Impressions one. More green than I would like..

Couchy

veli1

Hello High Iron,

yes, looks like a pretty jacket and fits you fine! I think that WWII Imp tanker jacket is ok. I have WPG tanker jacket and I don't like it and my next tanker will be Buzz Rickson's tanker jacket if I raise the money soon :D.What are your measurements, please (height,weight,chest size)?

Veli

A

Anonymous

veli1 said:
bseal said:

All of today's producers say that their tanker is the best on the market, produced upon WW2 specification. I don't think so..
Here are some of today's tanker's and WW2 original. WW imp is OK for that kind of money but Buzz Rickson's is I think numero uno on the market.

original
tanker1.jpg

Buzz Rickson
img36607472.jpg

At the front
us_uni_tankeri_main.jpg

WW Imp
IMG_0457.jpg

Is it so hard for these companies to buy an original and just copy - paste it in order to sell the stuff???
If I had the money to start the company i would have done it.

Veli -

I agree, I think BR is probably the best repro tanker out there right now, but it is not perfect. The knits are not even close to the original color or weight. I changed the knits out on my BR to a set of originals that I found on ebay. Also, like all the other repro makers, the tag is not correct. Original tankers were sized S, M, L - Also, they was no nomenclature on the tags saying "Jacket, Winter, Combat". There was just a size and contract numbers and dates.

I also think the fits on the repros are a bit off, mainly in the shoulders. I would like to see the shoulder seams moved in a bit, they are too wide. However, I know they are trying to make a pattern that fits the widest possible range of people, so that may not be a realistic option. The BEST would be someone who does something like John Chapman at Goodwear, a custom fitted tanker. One can dream! :)

Best to all!
Bill K.